1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shades of Billie Eilish

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by chazolson, Feb 16, 2020.

1. chazolson

chazolson

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    I'm trying to round up quality players for a Steely Dan tribute act. Placed a CL ad.

A singer replied with: "Who is Steely Dan?"

I don't think he'll make the cut.

Mr_Moo, L Anthony, Mili and 14 others like this.
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Tell him the truth. It’s a dildo in Naked Lunch

3. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

I observed this happening in a Record Store in Petersburg, VA in 1980:

A goup of schoolkids were looking at albums, and one held up a Beatles album, and cried "Look! Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings!"

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

When was the last time they put an album
    out? Had a hit single on the radio? Oh, by the way, what’s an album? What’s radio? I’m sure there are college students who don’t know(or care)who the Foo Fighters are(where). Or Jack White, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Killers, Green Day, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Mumford and Sons, etc. Britney Spears, even. BTW, the answer to the first question is 2003. That’s almost 20 years ago.

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Most kids these days consider Nickelback to be classic rock/oldies, have no idea who Kurt Cobain or Nirvana is, and you are expecting them to know Steely Dan?

To put that in perspective, that'd be akin to putting out an ad for a Glen Miller Orchestra tribute band in the 1980s.

6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I, for one, think the weirdest thing about the CL ad is that someone writes the OP to ask who Steely Dan were instead of simply looking them up on Wikipedia. :laugh: "Let me google that for you" and all that.

Not knowing something is fine. Not knowing how to look something up is not.

TRob1293, Cernnunos, Mr_Moo and 25 others like this.
  7. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I'd love to play in a Glen Miller band

PaulCISSA, Mr_Moo, kinnon64 and 9 others like this.
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    That's what I was thinking. Plus, who wants to play in a tribute band of band they've never heard of?

Jimmy4string, Mr_Moo, Engle and 4 others like this.
  9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    uhhmm...o.p. got trolled. and now it's spilled onto t.b.

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    In cases like this, I like to use Hanlon's razor:
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

In other words, if it looks like a troll, it's most likely just a dumb-dumb. :laugh: I mean, would you be surprised?

Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

Krizz, Mr_Moo, Engle and 8 others like this.
  11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i'd be surprised they asked. it looks like an 'ok boomer' moment to me.

12. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    One of my friends had a student respond to her comment in class with "ok boomer"...my friend is a millennial...

I like this Hanlon's Razor.

13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    You may be right. I work in a library, being asked stuff people should be able to find out on their own is my bread and butter though. :laugh:

Mr_Moo, yodedude2, Engle and 4 others like this.
  14. chazolson

chazolson

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    Actually, no. The same guy placed a CL ad himself as a aspiring "rock singer" and basically admitted he only knew Springsteen songs.

15. SteveIII

SteveIII

Jul 11, 2019
    Oshawa Ontario
    I am forman in a truck shop. I consider it part of the apprenticeship for them to learn about and be able to recognize older music. I let this go both ways as then I can find out about the stuff my kids listen too!

Mr_Moo and SirMjac28 like this.
  16. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    Oh by the, which one’s Pink?

Abe-of-Bass, The Owl, Shafty and 6 others like this.
  17. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    You could also tell him that Steely Dan is Arnold Schwarzenegger's sidekick in the original Terminator movie.

[OK Millenial moment]

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    People post on here about bands I never heard of every day it seems. Some of its damned good. I guess I haven't spent my entire life listening to more obscure stuff. Not that SD is obscure, but aside from a very few radio hits, they had a niche appeal.

thabassmon and Machiavelli like this.
  19. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    You must be a lot younger than me. Steely Dan was all over the radio in the seventies, at least around Boston. I wish I was young enough to not remember them.

20. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm happy to say I know from whence that line came without even looking it up.

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I got a gal in Kalamazoo...

Looks like Lou Costello on bass and the lead male singer looks like Lurch from The Addams Family:

fhm555, Mr_Moo, BassCliff and 3 others like this.