Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shakespeare help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Jun 5, 2005.

1. OK, I have a 3-5 page thesis due in two days on Hamlet in MLA format, most important is I get the format down just because my english teacher wants us to get a idea of what college will be like. I need some help finding resources to provide evidence to prove Hamlet WAS NOT insane, I've been trying to find academic journals but the internet is so vast it is TOO big for me to find anything. Of course there are plenty of sites to BUY a paper -_-. Please help ! I'm dieing here.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well, I'm not going to do your homework for you, but after googling "Hamlet" and "sanity" Within 2 pages I found some material that would point you in several productive directions. I'd try to skip over any of the commerical paper sites.

Also, as a person who works for a large university, and someone who's consistently taken classes since the late 80's, I've never learned MLA style. People are more likely to use APA. Most professors will tell you exactly what they're looking for formatwise, and I now have papers and projects in the collections of 2 libraries at our institution.

3. See I'm an idiot and was searching more for "Hamlet criticisms" and "Academic Journals". And I was getting stressed and something as simple as you did didn't even phase my mind... Also MLA is usually just english classes but APA seems to be more of a standard. I'll be doing both when I hit college unfortunatly, Psych and Crim Justice are my to be majors as of now ...

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Cool. I'd try a bunch of similar searches using variations of those and a few other words...I'd also try searching for a few key phrases (quotation searches) and see what comes up.

Good luck with your paper. You don't really need to much to go on, since 3-5 pages is pretty concise. Remember...quotations (cited) to support your argument are your friends. Professors love a paper peppered with fitting quotations.

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i have no idea what MLA is, but surely the best "evidence to prove Hamlet WAS NOT insane" can only come from the text itself?

also, it seems a bit of a flawed question because there is no decisive evidence to PROVE he is or isn't insane. you can write about how he APPEARS to be insane, or how he APPEARS to be reacting to genuine empirical situations, but it seems redundant to try and decide whether shakespeare intended him to be insane or not.
    there are much more interesting subtexts to Hamlet.

6. well i just am supposed to use quotes from works of people who have PHD's etc to support what I say basically, thats what I'm having trouble finding.

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    ok!

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ignore the PhD's, and go back to the source.

"Get thee to a nunnery, go"! :)

Let's see, what kind of a paper is this? Is this a psychology thing, or an English paper, or what?

'Cause if it's the former, you'll probably need an MD (as distinct from a PhD) - and even then you might not figure it out. :D

If it's the latter, you can probably make a basic case out of the DSM - that's the publicly available diagnostic psychiatric manual, which is online, and on Amazon, and places like here: http://www.psychologynet.org/dsm.html

9. english paper, he just wants people who have written on this subject who are more important than myself to backup what I'm trying to say.

For instance I can say :

In support of blah blah , Dr. Blah blah said ,

fsdfnsdufnufnbsdubifusd

sfsdfdfsdfsdfsdfsff

sdfsfdfsfsdfsfsdfsfsdfsdfd

sdfsfsdfsfsdfsdfsfsfsfsdff. (name of book page whatever)

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Do you have an Athens password and username?

As for the style - all English institutions suggest that you use the MHRA style guide for guidelines on structure and presentation. It's freely available from www.mhra.org.uk

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    if you have to do this stuff at college, too, you can check out the libraries. they'd have this sort of stuff in there.

just...giving you the heads up.

13. Well since its Sunday the library in my town isn't open, and they have the books I need so I'll just head there after school tomorrow.

14. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    you are not going to find anything substantial online. i just did a lit-crit on the tragedy of julius caesar. library is where you need to go.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You can find everything you want online, you can find the best articles online. You just have to know where to look.

So, i say again, as i was ignored last time, do you have an Athens
    password and username?

And for help with your structure and refereencing etc, check out the MHRA guide.

Edit: And if it's not an academic library there's no point going. You'll find very little of value.

16. No I don't have an ID for Athens. Also it HAS to be MLA format, its the USA standard for social and english.