Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shameless self promotion

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The JON RANEY TRIO is getting some nice house over at Jon's site

www.garageband.com/artist/raney

although I do commiserate with the reveiwer who didn't understand why Jon wrote a bass part that didn't seem to hook up with the piano part...
    (click on a song title , then click VIEW ALL REVIEWS)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

"Generally nice arrangement, but the bass lines and bass arrangement needs some work, and is the only slightly irritating aspect of the song..."

"Great piano playing but the whole song just doesn't flow that great. Its like the bass and drums are just trying to catch up with the piano..."

I dunno, Ed, looks like back to the shed for you.

But wait! Then we get:

"right, at first i hear the jazz, right on.. stand up bass, piano... quick drums... slamming man. Waiting for the metal... i picked metal as genre... but this isnt metal... as far as jazz goes... not original... but well done."

Okay, looking up. Then for the COUP DE GRACE:

"NTRO - BET YOU HAVE A CANDLE IN YOUR HOUSE THAT HAS A SCENTED WAX THANG IN IT.

NICE BAND SO FAR.. LIKE IT..

PIANO WORKS .. IN TUNE .

LIKE IT.. HERE IS SOME TAP FROM MY SHOE CAN YOU HEAR IT..

LOOKS LIKE A WINNER.. 5"

Well, I guess that settles it! :D

3. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    I like this one

"to much paino needs more insterments but panio good
    - mreli from Evanston, Illinois on 16Sep200"

Your bass sounds fatty fat Ed. nice playing

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    "Honey, does my sound sound fat with this bass?"

And there's no pain like the paino modern living.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm still laughing over, "HERE IS SOME TAP FROM MY SHOE CAN YOU HEAR IT". Now, THAT'S some funny ****. :D

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nice stuff.

I've played with some painists in my day. Jon Raney is a pianist.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm still trying to figure out what "nice house" means...

8. a ha ha ha ha he hehe he he aha.....

I can't make heads or tails out of the review(S). Just what exactly is the bottom line.... Ed SUCKS?

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC

I think it's a Pres-ism, when somebody claps for the band or after your solo you are "getting some house" ie reaction from the audience. Ergo nice house= favorable reaction.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    But at least my time's bad.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Tim Horner is B A D, Jim. The last time I heard Ben Allison's group, Tim was subbing for Jeff Ballard. I used to hear him a lot with Armen Donelian's trio at a joint (since bagged) between Bway and University...

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Hey, Don-O.

Why don't (didn't) you get that up at the TBDB NYC Registry I have set up:

http://www.PaperTheCity.com to list your gigs and http://www.paperthecity.com/tbdbnyc/index.html to join the registry and see the calendar of other TBDB NYC'ers and receive email announcements. If you're interested I'll send you the username and password for the PaperTheCity account.

13. Very. I used him last year in concert with Bob Kindred.

Tim had to cancel at the last minute this year. On the recommendation of Glenn Davis, I got Tom Sayek. He is one fierce timekeeper. The opener was a burner. Tom determined he would not let Warren get away. Totally in the pocket. I'd have died without him.

Pay attention, folks: Tomoko Ohno (Mrs. Allen Farnham) is one wonderful pianist and one of the sweetest people you'll meet.

The vocalist did "Let's Face the Music and Dance" in Gb. Warren soloed like he did it that way every day.

14. Hey Cats, We knew Tim up here in Boston back in the 80's. One Bad Mo- Fo!!! His brother John is still up here.Great pianist and a fun dude to hang with. Please say 'Hi' to Tim for me.