Share your IEM Setup Thread

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by musicman7722, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I'm seeing more threads on IEM which to me is a sign that their use is picking up. I have been using them on and off for about a year. I've tried a number of different configurations and I'm not sure which one I like best. For me it is all about simplification with the maximum amount of control.

I'm very curious to see how others have their systems setup. By setup I don't really mean knob settings or system types but actual setups.

For example my current setup uses a small 6 channel Alesis Mixer. It has 4 XLR channels and 2 stereo channels. It also has some very nice effects and is quite small. I have this velcroed onto a shelf in my 12 space rack along with my X2 wireless and SABDDI. Now I get a dedicated monitor mix from FOH into channel 1. I take a post effect send from my amp and put that into Channel 2. Channel 3 has a split of my vocal mike in it so I can raise my own voice if I need to w/o getting the FOH to do it for me. I add a lot of reverb to the voice and FOH mix for fill. Finally the output of the mixer goes into my Shure PSM200.

In the past I tried a simpler setup using a stereo 15 band DOD EQ. One side being the FOH monitor mix and the other my Bass signal. It was al lot less space but not as good a sound.

Do any of you just run your sig straight into your IME w/o any signal prep devices at all?

I look forward to your replies....

Chris P.

2. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    FOH is a large Yamaha digital console. I don't recall the model number but it is capable of multiple sub-mixes and AUX feeds.

drums are sub mixed at the console, as are all the backing/additional voices.

The AUX feeds go straight to a Hearback Hub. The HUB signal is sent to the Hearback mixer (HBM). All band members have a HBM. The channels are:

1: drums
    2: bass
    3: Piano
    4: electric guitar
    5: vocal (submix of all non-lead singer)
    6: keys (synth sub mix)
    stereo L lead singer vocal
    stereo R lead singers acoustic gtr

I'm using wired skullcandy earbuds. Yes, this is an off the shelf consumer product that most pros would scoff at. However, I've seen quite a few of these in use around here.. particularly where you are hard wired. I was using Sony MDR 7506 headphones, but hated the bulky look. The skullcandy sound great and actually offer more isolation.

fwiw. My mix is typically (on "clock face" scale) drums at 3 oclock, bass is at 4 oclock. everything else is on about 8-10 oclock depending on the song. I want bass/drums heavy. Everything else is just kinda' there for reference. The Master volume stays at about 10oclock to noon. I leave the limiter off.

3. So do you personally have control of your mix at your space on stage or is it tweaked at the heartfelt device? If that is correct than what you have control over is just a volume contorl right? CP

4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Independent stereo mix out of console + Rane Personal Monitor Processor + Shure PSM 600 + Shure SCL5 earbuds/w custom molds=:D
    The Rane MM42 is the ticket! http://www.rane.com/mm42.html

5. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Please don't say that. :meh:That is a huge mistake. :rollno:TRUST ME!

6. Hadn't heard of that before, and man is that exp.

CP

7. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    My setup is this: Bass into Boss GT-10B; xlr out to yamaha ls9; line out to my Fischer InEar Amp; Monitor sound (without bass) from ls9 to Inear Amp; from there to my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 pro headphone.

This is a simple but superb sounding setup.

8. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I have control over my monitor mix. I have the Hearback mixer at my location. I mix it to my preference, and can readjust at any time.

I do not control the submix on the AUX feeds, like the drums. That means I can't make the kick louder and the overheads lower. I get the full drum mix as a single channel on the HBM. Same thing for bkg vocals and keys.
    Other instruments are solo'd on the mixer.
    The lead vocal and Acoustic is on the stereo feed, which means there's a single volume that adjusts both items. It's not been a problem as the lead singer gets that same feed and keeps his voice quite a bit hotter than the guitar.

9. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Before I started this I would have made the same argument. I've been using the IEMs for over two years, not once have I had a loud feedback or pop in the IEM. Getting rid of the wedges has all but eliminated feedback.

Secondly, I keep my Master volume quite low. With the earbuds canceling most external noise (with no music playing between songs, I have to pull it out in order to hear any conversation that is not on mic) I don't have to run loud. My bass is DI'd and I don't use an amp (I use my pedalboard with VT Bass and a GT2 for tone) stage volume is nil. So I don't have to turn them up loud to hear well.

Thirdly, with my master volume low and the way I run my mix, when I engage the limiter, the things I have mixed softer in the IEM dissappear - unless I turn up the master. So that's a catch 22.
    What's more dangerous, extended listening at a raised level or the one off chance that something gets loud for second?

10. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    When we play in trio or quartet , I use my 828mkIII as the digital board with "Octopre/ADAT" as extra preamp.
    So my bass/vocal to the the 828 everything mixed there (gain/EQ/comp) to the Carvin H400 headphone amp , to my Shure SCL5 , hard wired.
    I made myself a custom wire for both IEM and Bass signal.

With bigger bands , if I don't mix it and use IEM , I plug my vocal and bass in the 828 , send "through" signal to FOH and receive a mix from FOH and mix everything the way I want.
    I have different presets done for all the setup so it's one button pressed and that's it.

BTW , the preamp in the 828mkIII sounds very nice. Better than last generation units.
    That make a very nice board for 750$ ;)

Edit; I have two "shotguns" pointed at the people mixed in stereo.

11. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    4 Piece band, drums, bass, keys, guitar, we all sing. No amps, just in-ears for everyone! We play mostly smaller clubs and resorts, an occasional large festival.

One thing that really helps is we have two "live" mics (sm57's) on the stage that we can hear the audience with, and talk to eachother without it coming out of the p.a. It gets pretty hilarious sometimes.

We all run our in-ears hardwired, I believe the other three guys are using Shure E3's or something in that neighborhood.

My setup:
    Bass --> PodXtL (w/Basspack) ---> Mackie main mixer (we mix from the stage) --> Shure Auxpander ---> Rane headphone amp ----> hardwired back to me----> Future Sonics Atrio M5---> my brain.:D

The Shure Auxpander has 8 input channels and 4 stereo outs. So we have:
    Ch 1-2: main mix (exact same mix as the mains)
    Ch 3-4: vocals (rarely needed, I generally get enough from the main mix)
    CH 5: Bass ( I bump it up about 20 - 24 db)
    Ch 6: Guitar (I mute this)
    Ch 7-8: Keys (I mute this)

This system works just beautifully.

12. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Well first off, I'm not trying to lecture here, but drop a mic and then see how your ears feel. Remember, those thing are a fraction of an inch from your ear drums. You can run away from a wedge, but not from an IEM. Damage can occur quickly should something go horribly wrong. Being a person with PERMANENT volume related hearing damage, maybe my perspective is different than yours. If I could go back in time, I would give just about anything to prevent the damage I have. ANYTHING!

13. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, not nearly expensive as hearing aids.

14. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    In my IEM mix a dropped mic would be no louder than the kick drum.
    I will stress, I run a very low master volume with DI'd bass & drums as dominate in the mix. Everything else is barely there.. just because I can have it, not because I need it. Plus it helps in long passages where I have rests.

If the vocals (or other open mics) were the dominate sound I would indeed engage the limiter.

I would never advise anyone to not use the limiter. :)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021