Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shavo Odadjian's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Unclassifiable, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Unclassifiable

Unclassifiable

Sep 16, 2004
    Hey, I just had a question: does anyone here know what type and brand of bass System of a Down's Shavo plays? I can't find it anywhere on the internet, so I hoped one of you experts could help me out :)

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Gibson Thunderbird.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    In their first CD Shavo played some kind of "modern sounding" bass, and I remember him playing a Ibanez BTB or EDB on Ozzfest ´99.

For the Toxicity album he played a Gibson Thunderbird. You can notice the change on the sound from the first album to the last one.

4. rateater

rateater

Nov 7, 2008
    i think he plays a Thunderbird cuz in the "BYOB" video that is what it looks like. it sounds like it too, especially in the end of that song with the rich tone that is being put out.

5. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

On the most recent albums Shavo (and daron since he played bass too for the records) used a '61 jazz bass.

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Pretty sure it's a Fenders on the recordings and Thunderbirds live.........
    Here's a shot of his as of yet unreleased signature 'Bird

[​IMG]

7. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    speaking of that,any idea on when its going to come out?
    or any other pics of it for that matter?

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The first time I ever saw them was in '98 at a small club downtown Seattle, he played an Ibanez soundgear model. And then I'd seen them at ozzfests after, and I seem to remember him still playing soundgears.
    I wanna say the Thunderbirds showed up around '02/03.

9. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    Thunderbirds and Ashdown amps....

10. Ampeg SVT

I thought he used BTB's too?

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    At what point in his career is this his 'sound'?

He didn't always use Tbirds, and Ashdowns are a more recent product for him... because during their popular albums he was using Ampegs.

12. that's exactly what I was wondering... it looks sweet btw

13. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    oh yeah and i forgot,most places i check said that he used musicman stingrays for the earlier times of SOAD. plus ive seen him using one on more than one occasion.but Tbirds and stingrays are the only things ive seen him use.ive never heard that he uses fender.but i have seen him w/ibanez's.

14. He did for a little bit right before Toxicity came out. I've also seen vid's of him playing a stingray around the s/t album time.

15. Ampeg SVT

I have an old Bass Guitar mag with Shavo on the front with a Red T-bird, he tried several different basses on Mesmerize and Hypnotize, he chose a '61 Jazz bass.

He owns a 'non-reverse T-bird (Aerials vid), a '76 Bicentennial T-Bird, he takes newer T-birds on the road, and he owns a '63 and a '64 Fender P-bass. He used the ABM's in the studio and he also used a Ampeg SVT and 810 in the studio.

He also likes a cleaner tone, when he likes some grit he gets it from the Ashdown's tube drive.

16. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    I just saw them in San Diego(great show btw) and he was playing his sig thunderbird through his Ashdowns, and it sounded like he was going for the tone off of the first album, clean, with a little bit of growl and more present in the mix.

17. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I thought I saw him with a Stingray in some concert pics.

But one thing's for sure, I'm seeing T-Birds pop up on stage WAY more than they used to.

18. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    From what I read in interviews with Daron, he played 90% of the bass on the recordings with a Fender, because it was easier than trying to show Shavo what to play. That was in his words.

19. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I met Shavo and his girlfriend. Very kind people! -Luke

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hope the dude that originally asked the question wasnt still waiting for the reply