1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shen Bass Construction

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jsf729, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Does anybody know if the Shen basses were constructed with hide glue? I've heard that the cheap Chinese basses are not and virtually impossible to repair due to PVA constuction. Not implying that the Shens are cheap/ inferior. I played one awhile ago and it played decent

2. They appear to use some sort of flour based glue.

3. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info!

4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    More likely rice based glue

5. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    The tops are not difficult to remove. Significant repairs due to serious injuries from gig accidents haven't shown any particular challenges.

Chris Fitzgerald and RSBBass like this.
  6. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Thanks Steve. Considering one now with some possible issues. Good to know. Answers my question.

7. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    I would stay away from any Chinese made bass check out an upton bass made in the good ole usa.

8. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I had for a year or so a Shen Rogeri, and was very happy with it; every luthier I showed it to was impressed with the quality of the workmanship and the sound.

apurdum likes this.
  9. I’ve been playing a Shen hybrid for the past 4 years for my undergrad and will probably keep using it for another year or 2 before I decide to uprage. It’s a super solid bass that’s give me little to no issues in the desert I go to school at. The only issue I’ve had is a small seam that pops once a year where the back meets the left side rib, but it is an easy and cheap repair. Shen’s can be really great Basses, especially if you have a great luthier do a setup on it.

mtto and apurdum like this.
  10. Look out for upraging.

Steve Boisen and elgecko like this.
  11. maccherokee

maccherokee

Jun 7, 2014
    Orwell Ohio
    I just had a neck reset done on my SB180. The luthier said they used "cheap white glue" for the neck joint. He cleaned it all out and reset with hide glue. I've had the bass for about three years. I noticed the neck joint separating about 2 weeks ago. watched it creep for a few days and took it in for repair.

12. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    you just proved my point

13. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Not really.

14. maccherokee

maccherokee

Jun 7, 2014
    Orwell Ohio
    Still very satisfied with the instrument overall.
    Kinda curious as to whether the issue I had is common with a Shen bass or if it was a one-off.

15. Oh god I just saw that!

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  16. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I have had my Shen for seven years now with no problems. There are some good basses being made in China, not just BSO's.

17. Shen’s problem is economies of scale.

To make the numbers work you have to produce a LOT of widgets.

I’ve owned two and liked them for what they were, but I’m part of a luthier’s group on facespace whose members have posted photos of some hinky **** they encountered in the wild.