1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shift Work

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by juancaminos, May 16, 2018.

1. Day Shift

2. Night Shift

3. Week End Shift

4. Retired From Real Job

5. Full Time Musician is my Job

6. I Don't Play Out

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I've worked Swing and Graveyard shift for the last 9 years. Before that I worked Swing shift off and on for a large corporation while going to school and running a band. Looking back I don't know how in the world I did it.

Now I'm looking for other band opportunities but working nights means I can only rehearse on Sat or Sun. As a BL I can make that work but as a new band member with very little clout it puts a damper on opportunities.

So just curious how many of you work off shifts and how you deal with band things

EDIT: If you play out & have a regular job, what shift do you work in your regular job. If you work an off shift how do you make things work for gigs and band practice. If you don't play out then check that box, if you feel shift work is the reason for not playing out please explain.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Might want to make this a multi-vote poll.

I have a normal 9-5. The rest of my band though, they work weird hours. Nights, weekends, other music gigs. We don’t rehearse. We play covers. Everyone knows their parts (mostly) when we play gigs.

We gig out a decent amount, but should really improve and gig out more. (Big thing though is we don’t have an agent, and that’s really the only reason we’re not booked a ton.)

I’d say find good musicians and don’t rehearse (if you’re into covers). Originals, I can’t speak to that. No interest in it.

3. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I work weekend and late shift, Friday-Tuesday, 1330-2230.
    It's a major factor in why I'm not playing out right now.

4. juancaminos

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Done, now multi vote, although originally I just wanted to hear from respondents only but I can see the significance of multi vote covering all members as long as someone explains things.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Yea. I wouldn’t have voted for my band. But, like Oddly, I’m sure others could work both nights and weekends. As well as, not playing out. But maybe you just wanted him to select “don’t play out”.

6. juancaminos

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Yes Oddly would be "don't play out" With explaination.

Oddly and BassAndReeds like this.
  7. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I work straight nights (11:00-7:30) and have been for the most of the last 30 years. My work is very good about letting me come in late on gig nights. I only need to do this on Friday night gigs as I have Sat./Sun. nights off. Band practices on Wednesday evenings. I've gotten in the habit of going to bed shortly after I get home in the morning so my evenings are free. Although I'm not "at my best" for those evening rehearsals, it works well enough.

Oddly likes this.
  8. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I have worked from 1:30AM to 10:00AM Monday - Friday for the last 15 years. I split my sleep 3-4 hours after work and at least 2 hours before.

Practice if ever on sundays or fridays. We don’t rehearse to often because we are a tribute band and gig regularly.

I have been with the company for 29 years and chose to work these hours because my kids were small.

Now they are all adaults and I choose to work nights because of traffic and too many chiefs running around from 9-5.

Also like to add that I am the only one in my band who works off hours. It works and if it doesn’t I make it.

LowActionHero and Oddly like this.
  9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Don't play out, it would take too much time away that I could be spending with my kids, which is a way bigger priority than a band right now, they're only small once. When they're older, I definitely plan on getting back out there.

When I did, I worked nights (11pm-7am) so that made it easy to plan things.

10. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I work four ten hour shifts nights (12:30-11am) Mon-Thurs. Drummer works rotating shifts, depending on what week it is. Makes it interesting to set up rehearsal to say the least. We try and cram in at least one rehearsal with all of us before a gig if it's doable. Otherwise, the other guys rehearse w/o me and record it for me.

We play covers, and it's mostly older classic country stuff, so nothing real fancy as far as bass lines go. I'm pretty good at just "winging it" when I need to, and I do practice the lines on my own. As such, the other band members have decided that I'm better than them, and don't need to rehearse as much. I don't necessarily agree with that and it completely scares me when it comes to gig night, but so far, no train wrecks.

Oddly and juancaminos like this.
  11. juancaminos

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    When I worked nights (3:30 to Midnight) years ago the band I was in didn't rehearse, we played out a lot. My boss would let me take off to play for Friday gigs. Sat/Sun were not a problem because they were off days.

The last job was 5:30pm to 5:30am Sun - Tue / Sun - Wed so I had Thursday thru Saturday to do what I want. This was with my own band and the days off worked perfectly

Where I am now is 3:30pm to 2:00am Mon - Thurs, Fri I get off at midnight. I have to work every other Sunday Noon to 6pm. We don't play much anymore but I can play or rehearse any Saturday night. I will take a vacation day for any Friday gig that I deem worth it.

David A. Davis and mmon77 like this.
  12. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

I work first shift (salaried employee) and the band Im in has just recently gotten into the habit of booking stuff mid-week :rollno:. Which is outside of the agreed upon schedule that was discussed when they first approached me about playing and it's causing me a fair amount of stress as I don't really have any weight to pull with these guys yet, and the gigs they get are fairly decent so I really don't want to make too many waves yet.

Fortunately I've got a boatload of vacation and personal days (basically almost six weeks) at my disposal so I can schedule a day off or a work from home day the following day but this is still something Im going to have to address with them sooner rather than later.

juancaminos likes this.
  13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Rotating shifts here. 7 days swing, 7 days grave, 7 days day shift... rinse and repeat. Unfortunately, I have to be very selective when I play with anyone. I had to put myself on active fill-in. The good part is each year I get my schedule for the entire year so I can look ahead and let a band know if I can do it or not.

14. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Im a first shifter but my job on any given day can go from 8 hours to 16 hours long (I'm salaried).
    They're good about getting me out early for Friday gigs, which is once or twice a month, but we normally rehearse on Monday nights so it's always a crap shoot.

15. I work 2nd Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. Then work 1st on Friday Morning. I essentially have nights off on Thursday-Sunday (Friday's can be a bit rough.)

It's an amazing schedule for music, but a horrible schedule for family. We make it work though!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  16. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I used to work an augmented 2nd shift. Went in at 2pm and worked until done. Usually around 2 or 3am. Had a deal that I could leave early on Friday to gig, but come in on Sunday to do the work needed to start the warehouse off on Sunday 3rd shift. We could only do Friday and Saturday shows, but it worked.

My last band, I was working an early first shift. Go in at 6am, and work until done. This was actually harder to gig with. The reason was that we gigged on any day, so with a cover band that meant getting home only a couple hours or so before my normal wake-up time. If had to work the next day, the band would allow me to leave before load-out was complete. Friday and Saturday gigs meant I was miserable the next day. I have a weird internal clock, and I will wake up at 5am. It is a curse.

17. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was on night shift basically 2005 until the end of 2016, and now finally I'm on day shift. Much, much better, though my particular shift starts very early at 6am. Makes for a short night after a gig. But I will say. Between music-ing full time and day job/gigs, I'll take job. Better pay, benefits, and retirement, and I only play gigs I want. When i was full time musician i got burned out after a year or 2. Now I'm always fresh, improving, and enjoying it. More money for gear, too!

juancaminos and David A. Davis like this.
  18. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I have my own business and work out of a home office. The great advantage of this is that it gives me almost total flexibility over my schedule, so rehearsals and gigs are generally not a problem (the rest of my band mates are in 9-5 jobs). Over the years, I've had opportunities to go back to a regular corporate job (the type I held for 20+ years) and I've often said to myself: "that could be interesting, but it might really screw up the band." Haven't seen a better work opportunity yet that would make me do that.

19. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I had a job seven years ago that involved swing shifts. I intend never to have a job like that again.

20. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Three 12 hour shifts, then two 6 hour ones. That and two young kids sort of kill the prospect of a band, but one day I'd like to get back into it. If I didn't work that 2nd job it would be an excellent schedule for music.

LowActionHero likes this.