1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shiny necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruda, Oct 16, 2009.

1. gruda

gruda

Aug 19, 2009
    i built a bass about a year ago and i play it constantly, well i dint put a finish on the neck so it was flat and very uhhhh woody? anyways i noticed today it has somehow acquired a super shiny neck... any one else have this happen

2. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    What wood is it made of?

3. gruda

gruda

Aug 19, 2009
    good old fashioned maple with a skunk stripe

4. Did you oil it with something that could gloss up?

5. gruda

gruda

Aug 19, 2009
    nope

6. How could this happen? I've never seen maple just self-gloss on anything before. Was that maple refinished before the build? Like...err... 'recycled' or anything?

7. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Yea that's really strange...I've had wenge kind of gloss up on me, but raw maple will usually just get dirty and feel funky.

8. hmmm

something similar happend/s to a friends guitar: it has a black satin finish and where he rests his hand on the body has become rather glossy..same with the neck

i guess it's the grease/sweet from your hands

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Your hands probably buffed it over time. Though would expect semi gloss rather then high gloss result unless the sealer that was used just naturally becomes gloss after good buffing. Has had some unpainted necks that start out flat looking and ended up semi glossy over time. But not same as though had used high gloss clear coat of course.

10. Well that was because it had a satin finish on it. It's well known fact that satin finishes buff up to a gloss with regular use, however, it isn't common that a totally raw piece of Maple wood would gloss up.

11. Just a crazy thought, but do you use any kind of lotion on your hands or something?

Perhaps maybe something you had on your hands got rubbed into the wood and caused it to gloss up.

12. gruda

gruda

Aug 19, 2009
    Well I do use lotion hand soap

13. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Would you happen to being using tru-oil as a hand moisturizer? :p

14. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    It is called human oil finish and of course your skin could be consider a micro sander, you're fingerprints for instance are little ridges that will sand an area nicely smooth.
    Dirk

15. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    It is called human oil finish and of course your skin could be consider a micro mesh type sander, you're fingerprints for instance are little ridges that will sand an area nicely smooth.
    Dirk

16. gruda

gruda

Aug 19, 2009
    you know what, your right......