1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by CaptMogul, Oct 1, 2008.

1. CaptMogul

CaptMogul

Feb 25, 2008
    Key West FL
    Any ideas on shipping a bass from the West coast to the South East. Does any one rent shipping cases or someone specializing in this kind of work. ED

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Capt, what is the value of the bass?

Our shipping method is a little too complicated for just anyone to do since it requires banding material and so on. I have mixed feelings about flight cases since the trucking industry managed to break two basses for us this Summer in flight cases. We strap and wrap bass boxes to a skid, standing up.

If it's a prized instrument, please find a way to drive it out yourself. Your nearby shops may have a box you can use if you're going to ship it. Insure it as if you expect it to get demolished. Be certain beyond a doubt that the person who will be receiving it does a complete, open-box inspection of the instrument before signing the delivery receipt, because once it's signed for, the shipper is off the hook. There is no such thing as a hidden damage claim.

My preferred shippers are FedEx Freight and UPS Freight, mainly because of fewer transfers from point A to B.

Good luck!

3. Check out this "Air Freight Consolidator":
    http://www.towneair.com/terminals.jsp

If your destination is shown I would get a quote from them. Most Air Freight Consolidators are mostly overland trucking companies anyway, but Towne is simply more honest about it. However, the big, big issue is PACKING! Old shipping maxim: GOOD PACKING IS THE CHEAPEST INSURANCE! You might be better off paying an export packer to build a fancy schmancy export crate (light materials) which you can reuse than renting or buying a bass trunk. But get a quote first (based on gross weight) from Towne. Of course, it may pay you to rent a bass at destination, too. I own a "priceless" 1820 Prescott which I ship via Towne Air Freight without damage, packed in a standard bass trunk. I've used Towne successfully -- once -- without damage. They placed the bass trunk upside down on a wooden pallet, to cut down of shifting in transit. I was satisfied with their service and rates. Also, look into these people: JIM LAABS Music Co. (Name???) in Stevens Point WI. They had a bass trunk for sale at $675!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don Carrigan, Gloucester, MA