1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shootout : Sovtek Big Muff, Univox Super Fuzz, Boss HM-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexgauss, Nov 11, 2016.

1. alexgauss

alexgauss

Sep 6, 2016
    t8s8Esk.
    Video :

Well well well. I bought all of them for guitar but they are still great with bass too.
    EHX by Sovtek Green Russian Big Muff - real classics, great box but it steals highs from you signal being turned off. So you should put it in a loop or make a true-bypass mode. Sounds cool into the most of the bass or guitar amps. But if you are pluging your bass into it - everything depends on your cab, yep it can sound like a crap through some cabinets. You got to dial tone knobs carefully, its easy to some hissy fizzy sound on high freqs.

Univox Super Fuzz - legendary stuff. I can`t say it suits for a lot of music styles, but if you need that sound of a crushing mountain - you will get it with superfuzz. Just don't know what to add :D

Boss HM-2 - mostly known as the spirit of swedish death metal. But if you roll off "high" a bit - then you'll get that fat and heavy tone. Something between fuzz and distortion. My personal favourite!

P.S. in case if you're interested to read and hear about matamp gt-200 , please welcome :
    Matamp GT200 review + pix & vid

gfen, Tourniquet Man and XXL like this.
  2. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Three classic dirt pedals, liked all three.

alexgauss likes this.
  3. I love the way the Super Fuzz sounds on bass.

blindrabbit and alexgauss like this.
  4. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    The HM-2 is not only the rumoured sound of the entire Dopethrone album by Electric Wizard, but is also the secret sauce of Godflesh's JC Broderick.

5. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    The Muff wins for me - great sound going here.

wncBass and alexgauss like this.