1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short Scale String Recommendations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Michael L., Sep 6, 2008.

1. I just picked up my new Fender Mustang bass today and have been playing for the last ~8 hours just out of excitement for my new instrument and these factory Fender strings are just not cutting it for me. I am not a new bassist or anything (10 years next month) but my fingers are absolutely shredded and I really don't like how "twangy" they sound.

I need some recommendations for short scale strings to give me an idea of what's out there. For now, I put on a set of EB Hybrid Slinkys (34" scale) that I had as backup strings, but I don't like that the wrapped part of the string is on the tuning machine and I haven't really had a chance to try them out since everyone in the house is asleep right now. On my Musicman Stingray, I normally use EB Super Slinkys. I prefer more mellow tones from a bass (like I said, I can't handle the "twangy-ness" of these Fender ones).

Thanks in advance...

2. This depends on what sound you want......
    If you look in the right place (which means internet. After all, you won't find a variety of short scale strings in most stores) you can find just about every type and gauge as their long necked cousins have. Here are two places that have a wide variety of short scale strings:
    www.juststrings.com
    www.bpstrings.com
    Musicians Friend also carries a few sets as well.

Most sets sold will be of the light gauge variety (.40-.95) like the Fender set your bass came with. There are some with .40-.100 and .45-.100. D'Addario has a .45-.105 set. Some of the flatwound sets go a little heavier as well, which would lead to less "twanginess" as a general rule. I like the lighter gauges myself.

You can get the woundrounds, but flats (D'addario Chromes, GHS Precision Flats, Rotosound, Thomastic Infield), tapewound (Rotosound) and compressed strings (GHS Pressurewounds) can be had as well. They can be had in nickel, stainless, and other types (D'Addario has a set of Pro Steels in .40-.100 that are mighty interesting).

Best of luck, and I hope you find the perfect strings for your taste and needs soon.
    Doug