1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale SX vs. Squier Bronco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wideyes, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Squier Bronco

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. short scale SX

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Give me your thoughts!

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I own both (the Squier for my GF's son, the SX to use as a piccollo). The SX is *much* better quality. MUCH. Neither are great instruments, but with the SX you can replace the p'ups and have a decent axe. The Bronco is barely playable. The SX has a much nicer finish as well...

I got the SX new for $120; the Bronco used for $75. Bo

3. +1 to the SX...

If it's an issue, the SX will also allow a bit more aesthetic choices than the Squier.

4. I usually always say squier over SX , but in this case i'd get the SX. Full size tuners on the SX are a major plus to me, also they have regular P or J pickups so right there you can easily swap tuners and pickups, alot easier then the bronco.

If i found a bronco for 60-80$ used i'd probably take it otherwise, sx.

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you want to sell the Bronco, PM me. I am looking for one to "overhaul".

:)

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Look on ebay - they creep up. And that Bronco is no longer mine, it belongs to an 8 year old who think's its *really cool* (even though I know better...)

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I find this interesting. I've played a grand total of two Broncos (one of which I bought) and they were both very nicely setup and a joy to play. These were both brand new. How old is yours?

8. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I also found myself to be pleasantly surprised with the one I played at GC. It did suffer from the "GC effect", but no more so than any other bass there. I found something very 'cozy' and 'friendly' about it.

I have a short scale fretless SX which has its own cheap-bass problems, but haven't tried a fretted one. Any thoughts as to how the fretwork compares between the two?

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I've been watching. All the "used" ones on Ebay are only $5-$10 less than buying a brand new one by the time they add in shipping.

:(

Thanks anyway. Its FAR more important that you passed it on to an aspiring player than it is for me to have it as a project.

If anyone reading this has a Bronco for sale, I'm interested. I'm building/modding/etc it as a gift for my girlfriend. :)

10. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Tied neck and neck so far! You Bronco lovers, please speak up!

11. My first bass was a Bronco and after 5 GAS filled years of playing it still holds up well enough against the other basses I've owned! (considering it is supposed to be just a cheap bass)
    +1 for the Bronco!

12. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've got one I'll sell ya....

13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    PM'd

14. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Is that all TB has to say on this subject?

Those who preferred the SXes, was it the quality of the workmanship or the hardware that won out? Was it the tone or feel? Was it both?

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Both.

16. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I own a Bronco and I'm not impressed with it. Firstly the thing was full of rattles straight out the box. It came out the Squier factory with loose parts and some suspicious brown substance smeared on the pickguard. Some of the pickguard screw holes down by the output jack were drilled into empty space. The neck is horribly under designed and uncomfortable imho and the tuners are useless. On mine the tuning pegs came loose from their shafts and I have no way of tightening them up.

17. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    I've owned both. I'd have to give the edge to SX. Better woods, better hardware, better pups, better finish. The Bronco seems cheaply made in comparison.

18. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I'm finding it interesting that all [EDIT: most] the testimonials are pro SX, yet the poll still currently shows neck and neck at 15/15! Are you Bronco owners too embarrassed to speak forth?

19. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon

In what way is the neck on this $150 bass under-designed?

20. I respectfully but strongly disagree. Yours may have had some problems, but they are not typical of any Bronco I've ever seen.

The neck on my Bronco is every bit as nice as the 1972 neck on my '63 P. No fret protrusion, nice satin finish, superb feel....and very comfortable. I don't know what "under-designed" means, but I can't think of ANY respect in which the design is inappropriate, inadequate, or poorly executed. I really like the Bronco neck.

The tuners have NEVER slipped or caused a problem, and the bridge intonates nicely even though it only has two saddles.

I have no complaints with the Bronco. IMO it's a better bass than the price you pay for it. All I need is to get the rounds off mine and a set of short scale Labella flats installed.