1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short Scale Thunderbird Bass Body Template

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jtrom, Oct 1, 2019.

1. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Hiya folks,

I have a neck from a short scale Squire VM Jaguar Bass kicking around and I'm really eager to build a body for it. Going to check out some wood specimens this week! I was thinking of making a custom body similar to a Serek Armitage, Lincoln and Gibson Grabber. However, since it's my first "serious" build I thought it might be ideal to use a template of some kind. That and the fact that Thunderbirds/Fenderbirds are so rock and roll and that's the mojo I'm going for with this project.

I'm looking to create something that has a good balanced feel w/o neck dive. Something that the VM Jaguar did not handle well. It was very light and the neck dove quite a bit. I don't mind a little weight on my basses as long as it's balanced.

Anyway, I've scoured the internet looking for templates and plans suitable for a short scale but I haven't come up with anything. Does anyone have any suggestion or tips?

Thanks!