1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shorter scale basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Howe, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Howe

Howe

Feb 9, 2008
    hey,

so 2 months ago I bought my first bass, a kick ass looking black squire.

but..after playing it and learning theres different size scales and I'm not a very big guy, I'm seriously thinking of getting another bass with a shorter then average scale length.

here's my options for name brands that I can get threw local companies

Izbane
    Yahama
    fender
    Cort

I don't really wanna shell out a ton of money, under 400 bucks but I'd like to advoid Fender just because I'm having more then a few technical problems with my current one.

so anyone know if any of these companies have any shorter scale basses aviable?

2. Howe

Howe

Feb 9, 2008
    bump.

3. I just ordered a Squier Bronco Bass (Black) and it arrived today. First off, it's a pretty sweet looking bass, very clean and classy. Second, I was pleasantly surprised by the feel of the bass and the overall setup for such a cheap instrument ($150 shipped from musiciansfriend.com). It sounds pretty good when plugged in too. Very punchy and reminiscent of a P-Bass, but it comes up short in the low end. I got this bass because I wanted a cheap short-scale to mess around on, and it exceeded my expectations. I also own a Kubicki, a Geddy Lee Jazz, Ibanez GSR-200, and several other more expensive basses. I honestly believe that the Squier stands up to them in it's own kinda way. I'm sure there are other great short scales out there, but the Squier is just what I have experience with. The bass has a 30" scale. If you're curious, I could probably send you pics and sound samples. Hope this helps.

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

By Izbane I take it you mean Ibanez.

Don't write off Fender because of a bad experience with Squier. Fender owns Squier but they are two different basses.

If your budget is only $400, go used.

Look for a Fender Mustang reissue, a Musicmaster or a Bronco.

Also look into SX. They have short-scale P-bass and Jazz bass models for $109.

5. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    bronco man or if you got the cash mustang

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Definitely Bronco or Mustang. Although you might be surprised on how heavy they can be (for a bass that small), they're definitely fun. I don't think I've ever played a Squier Bronco and said "this thing is terrible".

And I'm not sure about Cort, but I don't think that the other companies you listed make a short scale bass. I could be wrong though.

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've been gigging a Fender Mustang Reissue for a little while now while I am healing from a mild case of tendonitis. This MIJ is easily of comparable quality with MIA's I've used. If you dig the whole mini-P bass thing, then I suggest checking one out. They run around $400 used.

I personally wouldn't waste my time with the SX stuff. In my experience they played and sounded about like I expected for their bargain basement price. No doubt someone will be along shortly to brand me a heretic and raise questions regarding the possibility that my parents were related for my thinking that SX instruments are crap. Still, I stand by my opinion.

+1 to not confusing Squier with Fender. Not even remotely the same IME.

8. Howe

Howe

Feb 9, 2008
    hey thanks guys, I'm pretty new I thought fender made squires, didn't know they were a sub company then?

I'll check out the broncos and mustangs then thanks.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How big is not very big?

I'm 5'7" and play a full sized instrument.

My buddy is 5'4" and plays a 35" scale instrument.