Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i be worried?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by spacecanoe, Aug 1, 2005.

1. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    hey guys its me the new guy haha anyways i got my christopher 300 about 3 weeks ago and well i noticed to day around the button on the back of the neck some cracks.. should i take it back or is it even a thing to be worried about its kindof like the ply back in the button area is cracking or de lamming a lil bit. when i push on the cracked area i cant see any movement. should i be warey?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Has Canada instituted school busing to the NYC school district or something? My gawd. Or is that, "My gawd, eh?"

3. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    sorry ray i don't see what your going on about.. perhaps the typos??!. oh well whatever, i just want an answers to my problem , if it even is a problem.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That's what concerns me.

Anyhow, a new bass shouldn't have cracks. A picture would help folks give better advice, though.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Please note the key to the left of the "z" key. It allows for the use of capital letters, which generally suggest the beginning of sentences and proper names, like "Ray," for example.

That being said, a photo of the area of the concern will probably earn the most responses. It's too hard to understand the issue based only on your description.

6. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
  7. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ray, the "NYC school district" statement killed me! LOL!!!

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :)

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I can tell you this. If it were MY money, I'd have that bass right back from where it came! After only three weeks, I'd probably insist on a new bass and not a repair. That would be true even if the experts agreed that the problem was only cosmetic.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Well, the room is in better focus than the bass in both pix (the guy just won't cut you any slack, eh?), but it looks to me like maybe the neck was off once or got stressed pretty hard or something. Is the neck tight in the block? It might be worth having a repairman look at the thing.

11. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    shooooooot well i guess ill be takin it back to the shop tomorrow and talkin to them about it. its a new bass and i think the shop would definatly fix or replace it, i can tell you im definatly not paying for a costly repair on this guy already... and sorry for the shizz pics its a cheap digi cam and its depth of feild isnt controlable by the user. :meh:

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Well, you could have at least made your bed. :eyebrow:

13. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Good thing I wasn't drinkin' milk when I read this! Ken is right, Neck joint ees no good-get new bass.

14. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
  15. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    and ray yea theres no movement in the neck at all not a wobble.the pic makes it look like the whole neck joint is screwed but its just on the button on the heel. the rest of the joint is solid it just looks like whoever did the spray finish was in a hurry and didnt sand that area between coats.

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    These pictures seem to confirm what I thought I saw in the other ones. Namely, that the whole joint looks suspicious. For what should you ask? IMO, a new bass!

Edit-- I composed this post just before yours was posted claiming that it's only the button area where there is a problem. Hey, even if it is just a matter of not sanding (and I'm not so sure), that flaw along with the crack would be enough to get me riled.

17. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Sorry, but you are quite wrong about the "not sanding" issue. The neck is pulling forward slightly. There is no tolerance for error here though. If this were a dovetail joint then you might be OK but it is not and it will likely get worse over time just on its own. Take my advice and ask for a new bass. I don't mean to sound pedantic but this is one of the few areas I can claim expertise in-neck joints.

18. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    points taken..im taking it to the shop tomorrow morning and we'll see what happens. hopefully i can get a replacement , for future referance what should i look for in the neck joint area? this crack wasnt there when i first got it , i know that for sure. should i stay away from getting another christopher bass , should i get something different? my choices here in town are limited. i just dont want another lemon. it sucks because ive always talked myself out of buying an upright for the last 2 years because of there un predictable nature. seems bad luck kicked me in the nuts this round. thanks again for all your help guys.

jeremy

19. You don't sound like Dr. Mike ( Pedantic) at all Jeff.....

20. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Christophers are good basses.......except for this one....just take it back and ask for a replacement. If the dealer is reputable he should make every attempt to make it right; IMO he should just replace the bass. If he balks...contact Concord Group directly amd let them know what's going on. Just my .02!

good luck