1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I have a friend wanting to sell me an Epiphone pro4 thunderbird bass for $240 with hardshell case. Im not all that familiar with these, but from what I hear they are really good for the money. I play the more expensive basses (Warwick, Ibanez prestige) but a good bass is a good bass, regardless of price. Is this a good deal? Because if I don't like it I will be posting it on here.

2. Unless it has a broken neck that's a steal of a price, the Epi case alone is worth $100. I bought an Epi Tbird Pro to schlep around bars so I don't damage my Gibson Tbird. Except for the satin (Epi) vs gloss (Gibson) feel, it would be almost impossible to distinguish between the 2. (Actually I prefer playing the satin neck on the Epi. The Gibson has better pickups but it should...@ 3X the price).

Understand...in general, Tbirds are an acquired taste...but for $240 you can't go wrong, you can always flip it if you don't grow to like it.

3. Thank you. Do you happen to know the trussrod nut size? I'll check it before I buy. Unless there's another way to check for a broken neck.

4. I've never adjusted the truss rod on the Epi, action has been fine since I bought it a couple of years ago. I did adjust the Gibson's, several years ago; I believe it was the standard 5/16"...but I wan't referring to the truss rod. Tbirds are notorious for broken necks (especially the older non-multi-lam necks), right where the neck meets the headstock, due to the extemely narrow area around the nut. And that type of break would be obvious...

Make sure the Epi you're considering is a "Pro". If it's a standard Epi IV the deal wouldn't be nearly as good: the IV is a bolt-on neck, and retails for 299:

Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

the Pro is a neck thru and retails for 499:

Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-IV Bass: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

...+ the extra cost for the case, on either bass...

5. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    Which color is it? If it is indeed a Pro IV and you decide to sell it, just PM me instead of going through the hassle of writing up a "for sale" thread. :ninja:

6. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Generally when talk of a "broken neck" comes up with T-birds, it's in reference to the headstock breaking off. Old Thunderbirds from the '60's and '70's that were dropped or fell over were prone to that because they had a big angled headstock with no volute, the nut was very thin, and the neck was made out of a single piece of mahogany. Modern (post 1988) Gibson birds and the Epi Pro have slightly smaller headstocks and use a multi-laminated neck which increases the strength. If a T-bird has a broken neck, you'd probably be bale to tell just by looking at the back of the neck, unless it was proffesionally repaired and painted over.

7. tbird4.

tbird3.

tbird2.

tbird1.

I got it! Gonna play around with it a bit, but so far i think it has a great tone.

8. felixgun

felixgun

Dec 20, 2011
    240 WITH a hardshell? I say take it at and it to your bass collection since it's a hell of a deal :)

9. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    That's a pretty tremendous score, there! Don't even look back.

10. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    That's a deal for sure. I don't know a thing about Thunderbirds, but that price plus case? Great deal. Enjoy it.

11. Definitely a Pro, and @ $240, definitely a score!!!

Congrats on a great deal, enjoy!!

12. I actually got it for $200 and an old space heater that was given to me by my mom, so it turned out to be a REALLY good deal.

13. Mywholecollection.

My new family.

14. Adam Guzzo

Adam Guzzo

Dec 15, 2010
    Buy it, then sell it for more, and pocket the cash... lol