1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

should I cancel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Hi guys

    I have paid (in full) for a lefty SR5 almost 5 months ago now. The guy at the shop told me it would take 3 months to ship from US to AUS. Obviously, it is now getting close to twice the time I was told it would take.

    I have contacted the shop, and been told "oh, yes, we checked with the shipment and it will be here next week". That was three weeks ago. :eyebrow:

    Should I just cancel my order and try to buy something online and have it shipped or should I continue to wait?

    I mean, surely it couldn't take 6 months for a lefty SR5 to be made, shipped and in my hands??? Its not a custom shop instrument is it?

    Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Well I'm in a similar situation. In December I sent my bass back to the factory (through the dealer) to have a new neck installed. I live in Ottawa and the shop is in Montreal (MAYBE a 2 hour drive) and I still don't have it back. In fact the guys at the store called the factory to see what gives and the new neck hasn't been made yet. So I'd say this type of BS is pretty much business as usual with these large companies.
  3. A9X


    Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Cancel it. See if that gets some action out of them.
    With so many other possible sources of the bass, I wouldn't put up with the crap. I've run into similar issues with Aussie importers before, where items have missed an outgoing container to Aus and have lingered waiting for the next one to be filled before despatch to minimise their overhead per unit.
    I would also file a complaint with the Dept of Fair Trading.
  4. Bigwan


    Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Cancel. Then get online at somewhere like BassNW and get one sent to you from there. Probably end up cheaper too!
  5. JayAmel

    JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Such a delivery for an SR5 is quite abnormal.
    Even here in France, one can get any SR5 with any color combination within 5 or 6 weeks max.

    I would cancel.

  6. Email EB directly giving dates of when you ordered, from whom, what (exactly) you ordered and saying that you're unhappy with the shop's service and attitude and ask when a shipment might be made.

    That way, if the dealer is at fault then EB may take away the franchise. If EB are at fault then you get to hear from the horse's mouth what the delay is. If nothing else you might get a hussled up SR5 sooner.

    Don't cancel until you get the info from EB... But in the meantime contact the nice guys at Lakland and see how long it would take to get a 55-02 shipped directly from the factory... ;)

    Best of luck!
  7. bassmonkeee

    bassmonkeee Supporting Member

    Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Do they even make lefty 55-02s? :confused:

    5 months is not out of line with a special order instrument. Delays in productions happen. The only thing I would advise is to get the order number, and contact EB to see when it is expected to be finished. Something as simple as a problem when finishing the instrument could have caused them to have to start over.

    Anyone who is referring to EB as a "large company" is talking out of their ass. Just because a shop gives you a time frame, don't assume they got that info from EB. My fretless Bongo took close to six months, and I live in the same company. If you can't deal with waiting for a bass to be built, then buy one off the rack.
  8. A9X


    Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Huh? It's just a LH version of a standard instrument and for something that they should have built before many times, it should be an absolute doddle. Flip the templates and shape it up exactly the same; the rest of the finishing, painting etc is identical and I'd be surprised if they weren't coming off the line in lefty as a certain percentage of the total numbers anyway. Not like he's asked for a multilaminate neck and body and custom electronics.
  9. cheezewiz

    cheezewiz Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2002
    Call EB direct. Their customer service is first rate. You'll have an answer quickly.
  10. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes, and im sure his order is first in line. They have more basses to make at the same time.
  11. dlloyd

    dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Apr 21, 2004
    A clarification on the size of EB is in order... They finish around 50 guitars and basses a day (not including SUBs), Monday to Thursday.

    Here's how I understand the ordering system: Distributors will order a certain number of a certain color of a certain model. Every bass they build is, in effect, a special order. These orders have to be fulfilled and customer orders are slotted in as and where they can be.

    Special orders take at least three months. A guy just posted on the EB forum that his (RH) bongo arrived yesterday after 4.5 months. That seems to be the case for all orders at the moment.

    To answer the OP, no I don't think you should cancel. The store assistant made a promise on behalf of EB that he was in no position to make. I would try and remain patient, your bass should arrive soon.
  12. pookeymp


    Oct 16, 2002
    I also agree with contacting EB directly. I put in an order for a SR5 from a dealer who said I would have it in about 8 weeks. After about 3 months, whenever I would check w/ the dealer, I was told "it will be here in 1 to 2 weeks." After 5 months of this, I joined the EB forum, just happened to chat how long it was taking, and an EB rep responded online, gave me his # and told me to call him @ the shop. He was able to let me know what stage my bass was actually at and gave me real timelines as to delivery date, where the dealer just kept stringing me along. It turns out that the dealer hadn't put my order in with them until about 2 months after I put the order in (apparently waiting to get other orders in at the same time).

    A fellow from sales and from the repair dept. check the forum daily and respond to issues/questions.

    If you register on their forum (http://www.ernieball.com/forums/) and go to the Music Man Basses link, you can post your problem there, or you can call (866) 823-2255 and ask for Scott.

  13. andruca


    Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think http://www.basscentral.com is a good choice. Those guys are very nice and efficient and sell them at real good prices. They ship worldwide too. They only sell new or in like new condition Stingrays.

  14. i think you should better cancel the deal and check out music123.com or musiciansfriend.com. I am living in Istanbul and it took just two days for a line6 pod.
  15. I don't think this is an unreasonable response time from EB. I live close to Detroit and just to order an SR5 from the factory is 8 - 12 weeks. I know it's not a true custom shop, but still, they appear to be plenty busy. I don't pretend to know what complications might arise from international shipping, or the production issues with your instrument, but still, if the order's been placed by your dealer it can't be that far off. They are worth the wait!

    One of our guys ordered a Luke from EB and it was 3 months to the day that he got the instrument.

    Contact Beth at EB, she'll let you know anything and everything you want to know about your order! They are great for customer service there.

  16. bassmonkeee

    bassmonkeee Supporting Member

    Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    When I say "special order," I mean " not off the rack." ie it has to be built to the customer's specs. As figjam stated--if there are 1000 instruments in front of it in line, it will take 3-4 months before they even get to his order, and then about 3-4 weeks for the bass to be built.

    It's not like they are being lazy and simply not shipping a bass that is sitting around in a shop...
  17. hey again

    yes, i expected a wait, definitely. i know mine isn't the first in their production line, but that was what the three month wait was supposed to be all about. the shop guy was right to quote that timeframe because it came directly out of the MM catalog from which I ordered.

    i have spoken to the shop and they are blaming the shipping company and are claiming to be the meat in the sandwich.

    when i said it shouldn't be hard for a production model to be made, i was comparing that to say, a Valenti etc - a true handmade custom instrument.
  18. KEEP AFTER THEM! BE RELENTLESS! They're not the meat in the sandwich, mate...YOU ARE!...They HAVE their money...you don't have a bass...
  19. Hello Everyone!!

    Thank you so very much for all your helpful advice! ;)

    After the threat of cancelling my order, the shop has been busy getting it sorted out for me.

    I will have to wait another two weeks (due to a problem on the LA shipping dock). The import company has offered to give me a complementary box of strings. :hyper:
    Without my TB mates, I would have been at the mercy of the system, again - thank you so much!!!

    One last request from you please - the shipping company want to know what gauge of string I would like as their gift. I use 45-105 on a 4 string, what should I ask for as a newbie 5-er???
  20. andruca


    Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I use EB Super Slinky 5-String (.040 - .125) on mine. They absolutely rock (and they also funk!). :)

    Good luck!