Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, Jan 17, 2006.

1. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Okay, I have 2 projects going on...#1 is a refin that I have to wait till it gets warmer so I can stain the body outside (small place, and pregnant wife).
    #2 is a SX project.
    The SX project started out simple enough. I bought a schaller double j that was going into the neck position as a humbucker, and a dimarzio model j in the bridge.
    Now, I have a new idea...route a spot for the schaller between the 2 j pups, and got with 2 model j’s.
    500k stacked vol pot for the 2 j’s, and a 500k stacked pot for the schaller which 1 part of it will be used for the overall tone control. The schaller will be connected to an on/on/on switch (top/both/bottom).
    This setup should give me full control of all the pickups since each one of them is hum-canceling.
    Sounds good on paper, and it should give me some nice sounds.
    Any thoughts ??:D
  2. ahhh...sort of like an Urge bass with a double-J instead of a P...very interesting....

I don't know...that's too many pickups for my tastes...(I'm easily confused)...

I'd go model-J neck, and double-J first wanted to go double-J neck, model-J bridge...I see merits in both...

the third scenario...I don't know...I tend to think that with both the neck and the bridge going, that you won't get a lot of benefit from the middle, but I could be wrong.

as far as the front/both/rear setup for the double-J...I think you'll get a better tonal selection if you went series/single/parallel and just picked which coil you were going to use for the single.
  3. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Yes, kind of like the Urge.
    The cool thing about the double J is, each J is hum-canceling (8 leads). It's kind of like gluing 2 Dimarzio Model J's together, so in the end it will be sort of like having 4 pups.
    I think I may just go for it.
  4. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    sure, why not. It's just an SX. :D
  5. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Exactly :bassist:
  6. ahhh...I didn't realize that the double-J was completely hum-cancelling.

In which case, Go for it...I think I'd go with a series/single/parallel toggle on each pickup (2 for the double-J), and a volume control for each pickup (2 for the double-J) using 2 stacked knobs...and then an overall tone control

so it would go...
    parallel/single/series neck
    parallel/single/series middle front
    parallel/single/series middle rear
    parallel/single/series bridge

volume neck
    volume middle front
    volume middle rear
    volume bridge

7. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Now you have me really thinking...
    I can reduce the knobs by using 2 stacked and 1 tone, but the switches...I don't even know if I have the room for them. :meh: