Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassflyer19, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Yes

34.3%
  2. No

32.9%
  3. Carrots

32.9%
  1. bassflyer19

bassflyer19

Nov 18, 2008
    Florida
    so, ive been playing for 6-7 years now, and ive recently become interested in short-scale basses. ive come to the conclusion that i wouldn't mind getting one for a low price. RondoMusic to the rescue, i found one that fits what i want.

heres the link: http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb5734car.html

if i get it, then im going to replace the knobs with standard Jazz bass knobs. so, save up the 120ish dollars to get it, or just stay with all full scales?

2. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Do you have a reason to play a short scale bass or do you just want one? Many bassists play them because their hands are very small - some teens learning bass-or have had hand/tendon problems such as tendonitis and or Carpel tunnel. If you want to get one just out of curiosity then you can if you want. If you are seroius about a small scale bass then I would go for a Birdsong. What is it about a full size bass that you are unhappy with?:bassist:

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    If you're got a hundred bucks or so, go for it. 30" is pretty short. In my mind, thats pretty much reserved for beatle basses and gibson eb-somethings. If this doesn't work out, think about 32" scale. I used to be a one bass guy back in the days of my Fender Urge I. I probably would still be if that neck would've held up better.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I guess I didn't say why I prefer 32" over 30." At 30", the strings start to feel funny - string tension isn't what I'm used to. At 32," you've got a fast little neck that feels great (to me) string-tension wise and, in my hands and to my ears, sounds and plays a little more in tune than a 30" or 34."

Come to think of it, I've got a great 32" sitting downstairs in a case. Gotta go...

5. bassflyer19

bassflyer19

Nov 18, 2008
    Florida
    to be honest, i far prefer a full-scale bass over short. the neck feels right at 34". i have just come to like short-scale since they are pretty fun to play. i used to actually hate short-scale basses, its only lately ive come to enjoy playing them. also a full fits my hand better. i have long fingers on my big hands. so, a short would just be something fun to check out.

6. bassflyer19

bassflyer19

Nov 18, 2008
    Florida
    is that an attempt to sell me one of your basses there, wv?

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Nope. Its not going anywhere. It's an '89 Kubicki - my college graduation present to myself.

8. I had a short scale, and sold it. It just didn't seem right to me being that short, and being a bass at the same time. If you really want a shorty - go for it, but it might spoil you when you go back to the 34" scales :meh:

9. bassflyer19

bassflyer19

Nov 18, 2008
    Florida
    my main axes would still be my MIM Jazz and my HWY1 P. both of them are of course 34". a shorty would just be something to play around with. i would only play it if necessary at a performance or something like that.

10. Sure, go for it.

Short scale is a different animal. The best way to find out what the tone possibilities are is to own one. The only thing is I'm not sure about the SX's quality. I'm probably wrong, but I think it's a little tougher to get a good short scale bass on budget. If it doesn't play well it might turn you off to what a short scale bass has to offer.

11. Go ahead and get the SX short scale. The one I bought 4 years ago was a dream to play and of good quality. A short scale bass is a different animal for sure and worth exploring.

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Marlowe sure did make it look good while in South America!:bassist:

13. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    True, but the SX's are good quality for the money, great customer service IME even if you get a dud, and they are the perfect platform for modification. You can polish a turd, as long as it's an SX.

14. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    The shorter the scale length,(32", 30" )the less tension on the strings, and vice versa...
    The longer the scale length(34" 35") the more string tension.
    Don't put heavy (.105" on the Low E) strings on a short scale bass.
    Please use light gauge (.100", .095", .090")for short scale basses.

15. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    While I enjoy playing my Fender p-basses,a few years ago I got into the old silvertone basses and found that I really enjoyed their sound and feel. I currently build a line of short scale electric resonator basses and am working on a prototype for a short scale semi-hollow bass. There's something old-school about their sound,especially with flat wounds. Not better,just another flavor. MVC-297F.jpg

16. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, That resonator Bass is beautiful!!
    Please tell us how much $... where can we get one?
    It has so much vibe and total coolness to it!
    I would love to own something as cool as that!!

17. Why?

18. martyg

martyg

Oct 27, 2008
    Kilgore Tx.
    I have tiny carny folk hands and wile the short scales are nice for me I must say I love a full scale to play on. A that is a cool looking bass.:eek:

19. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    That is a beautiful bass.

20. I own a 32in scale bass and thats a cheapo precision that the wife bought me (what do you do ) but i really like it and i pick it up every single day to practice on, it sounds awesome, i would get one if i was you as there really nice basses.
    Shot scale EB0 looks favourite, would love one myself to be honest

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021