Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I get an Extension??

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Aug 21, 2005.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Well I have been thinking about getting an extension. My bass is sort of on the heavier side so its is not as loud or powerful as some. It is not bad though and it does have a very nice tone. I am just worried that if I get the extension I may not be happy with the volume etc of the low C. Since I have a thicker top I do want good tension on my strings. Would an extension take tension of the top? Would I lose volume? My top is slab cut spruce. I currently have a solo string on tuned down to G- I actually get a good amount of sound out of that. Mabye the top is over stressed? How can I know?-it is a thick top. Anyway I just want to know if I might expirience a loss in volume when I get the extension. :help:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    First of all, if this is on your new Kolstein Bass I don't see why you are using Solo Strings unless you are playing solos. With a Stiff top you should use Orchestra Mediums to break it in if not Starks (heavy).

To see if you Bass will work with an Extension, take a Medium E string and de-tune it down to C to hear the Tone. The Ext String is the exact Gauge usually but longer so it usually has a bit more tension. Many people claim that an Extension opens up the Bottom of the Bass.

On of my Older Basses has a stiff Top and I am serious thinking of putting Stark Gauge strings on it.

3. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I have all original flexocors except for the G string. I normally would not have a solo string on but I need to change my old G and all I had was a solo string. What kinds of things can be done to increase the projection and Volume? With my E string tuned down it sounds pretty good esspecially tone wise. I need to bow close to the bridge to get closer to the volume I want. It's crap (the volume I mean) over the FB. I assume the extra length will take care of that. Let me know how the extension on you bass turns out. How is that bass of volume? how is it when the E is detuned?

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    My Morelli has the Extension already. It sounds Massive. The Martini is getting one now. The Bottom is huge on that and the Strings have good tension. The first week I got the Martini (last April 2004) I did a concert and tuned the Perm.E down to C and it shook the house. I had Reg Flexes on top and Perms on the bottom. I knew from that moment it would be a good Bass for a C Ext. The longer length (about 10") should make a big difference on the tension. If you need, get a Stark E/C Reg. or Orig Flex. Orig Flat Chromes also sound good. I am using Perms on the Bottom and Flexocors on the G and D for the Martini. The Morelli has Obligatos and sounds good with them.