1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I join this band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RandomBass90, Jun 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hello TB, long-time lurker here who is faced with a situation that I'd like TB's general consensus on before making a decision.

I had posted a local Craigslist ad about a month ago offering myself as a bassist for any local giging bands. I have received only one bite from this, an offer to play in a local modern country cover band. The BL emailed me with details like their gig radius, band website, types of venues, schedules, etc. The two example artists that he gave me were Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan, if that means anything to anyone. He also advised that it pays well but wasn't specific.

My major issue with this is that I really, reeeaaally don't like modern country. It's one of very few genres of music that I just outright dislike and cannot enjoy in any capacity. I don't think it's objectively bad music, as if such a thing exists, it's just that I personally dislike it very much. I scoped out their site and confirmed that, from the videos on there, I wouldn't enjoy the music being played. The other issue, which is less severe, is that it looks like the band plays almost every Saturday, and I've got a current, longstanding originals project with my best friend and drummer, and our only days to get together and write/record are Saturdays (I know it's kinda naive to expect to find a band that won't be trying to gig every Saturday, but that's the hope anyway).

However, this would be my first real shot at being in a get-paid-to-play-music situation, it would give me a lot of live performance experience, and would probably be a great experience in general for me, regardless of my distaste for the music. I'm just really torn over what to respond to this offer with, or whether I should even respond. I feel like at bare-minimum that I ought to reply and explain myself as I've done here, what with disliking the music but being otherwise open to the idea.

What do you think? Please let me know, I've never been in this position before and am really at a loss. Thank you for any input you can provide!

Oddly likes this.
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I've tried to let money play a factor in joining bands that played music that I did not like, but it was not for me. YMMV.

3. 3Liter

3Liter

Feb 26, 2015
    Hobbiest
    If you want that experience and don't have it go for it. You will get live fire experience, learn bandcraft, etc and get paid to do so. Win win. If you have a lot of experience and just wanna get paid, reconsider.

If it's a CL doubleblind email, you don't have to respond, but you *could* and say thanks, but not really interested. I like getting some response.

I replied to a couple of ads and determined it wasn't for me, and said "I'd love to see you play sometime, who are you?" Got nothing back. I don't really think that's cool either.

Plucky The Bassist and Philmvii like this.
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    It comes down to what your goals are. If you are in this to simply have fun, then this may not be the band for you since you won't get a whole lot of pleasure out of playing music you hate. Now on the other hand, if you are looking to get a taste of being a working musician then maybe this is the perfect opportunity to give it a go, regardless of whether you are passionate about the music. I'm sure you'll have some satisfied audiences, will brings its own satisfaction, and good pay doesn't hurt anything either.

We do sometimes have to make compromises to get out there and play for audiences(and especially to get paid), i'm sure many will attest to that.

TyBo, mikeyjm2, Polfuste and 2 others like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Maybe update your ad and be more specific about what you want to do.

IME, the Sat. songwriting is history if you want to be in a gigging band.

Seems you may not be ready to gig.

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Man, I don't like 3/4 of The stuff I play regularly at gigs. That being said I not only enjoy the money, but I enjoy working with good players even if I don't like the material. Outside of that I often find myself enjoying the experience of an audience really getting into what we're playing despite the fact that I might not personaly like it. I think part of working in that way is sacrificing your personal tastes. You might be suprised at how much you enjoy it because it can be fun to play with other pro players and watch people dance and enjoy themselves to what you're playing. It sounds like this band has their $#!% together so I would do it. Can you just get together early with your friends? You Can look at it as warming up for the Sat night gig.

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    pjbassist, G RICH 5 and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Playing live is far different from playing from home. I will happily play music live I would never listen to at home.

I am not a fan of new country: it is basically pop music with fiddle IMHO. But I wouldn't rule out playing in a new country band as long as they where gigging.

aldaa, Zos Kia Cultus, Joe Ty and 6 others like this.
  9. I have no clue how so many here on TB can play music they hate. Unless it is your only source of income I couldn't do it myself.

Life is way too short to play (or listen to) music you hate. IMHO.

I'd reply and say that you appreciate the offer, but honestly it isn't for you. Replying is something I consider necessary. One time I had posted a car on CL for free. I had over 100 replies, gave it to the first who replied and I replied to all the others saying it was gone. Should have kept that car, but that is another story.

But that is just me.
    Russ

grinx and Nashrakh like this.
  10. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    This. If you don't want to play music you may not love (or even like) then gigging may not be for you. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  11. This sounds like a nightmare. Hold out for something you can be passionate about.

Best in your search.

Austin Hayes and Lvjoebass like this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Maybe go to the audition or rehearsal and give it a go. Maybe you won't hate it so much if you are playing it. If the band members are cool and the money's good, it could definitely be worth doing for a while. It's not a lifelong commitment.

mikeyjm2, mikew31, design and 4 others like this.
  13. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    If they have gigs go hear them. You may be surprised. I play in "country" band but the setlist contains a good bit of other stuff. If, in your heart, you know it's not for you show them the respect of not wasting their time.

design, Groove Doctor and Lvjoebass like this.
  14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Seems like you need to decide what you really want. Gigs happen on Saturdays. If you really want to gig, you won't get far with a no Saturdays rule. If you're jumping in with someone else's band you won't get to dictate style or set list. Start your own band if you want to pick that. Subbing means playing their stuff.

15. If you're not into country, stay away. Let the real country guys do their job.

Matt Dean and five7 like this.
  16. Lvjoebass

Lvjoebass

Jan 19, 2017
    New country is a far cry from real country. Its what we used to call southern rock. So other than a lot of songs/artists sounding similar, it can be fun to keep them straight!

Joe Nerve and G RICH 5 like this.
  17. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Give it a try, playing stuff you think that you don't like live is much more fun than listening to it (if the crowd is having fun(. Sounds like you could use some gigging experience.

mikeyjm2, Joe Nerve and Lvjoebass like this.
  18. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    1) Did they offer you the gig?
    2) If the answer is no, don't worry about it because, they're not going to offer you the gig once you waltz in and tell them you hate they're music and you don't work Saturdays.
    3) If the answer is yes, then decide if you need a change from what you've been doing in music so far. I'd think since you put the ad in CL you're looking for something new. If that's the case then take the gig and do the best you can for as long as it lasts. ... Because, you know what? ... Life will change and one day you won't be in that band either.

Joe Nerve, mikew31, pwhalen and 2 others like this.
  19. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Are you trying to make a living playing bass? If so, take the gig. If not, I'd pass.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you strongly dislike the genre it'll come across in a variety of ways over time. Trust me. It always shows.

Session players can rise above disliking a style more easily than a band member usually can because it's not a regular thing for them. But unless you're totally professional about playing music, you'll probably want to pass on this one.

Most BLs will respect your candor, and appreciate you not wasting their time. Saying right up front that you don't think you'd be a good fit to someone who's looking to audition or hire you has a certain dignity and integrity to it.

Getting fired six months down the road because it's become obvious to everyone you aren't happy being in the band isn't.

Lvjoebass, Pumpkin and Groove Doctor like this.