1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I kick out my guitarist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Slicebread, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slicebread

Slicebread

Jan 18, 2013
    Hello guys,I have a little issue with my band and I need your opinions on hat I should do.
    I am the front man of my band and I sing lead vocals and play bass ,the other members are the drummer , Rythem guitarist ,lead guitar and piano.
    Our rythem guitarist seemed to be very talented ,always messing with tabs and bringing her guiatr to school etc etc ..... untill i recruited her to play rythem guitar..she always wastes time during sessions acting like a slut and she cant play a simple song in the right tempo ..we have been practicing Seven Nation Army for 6 months now and she cant seem to play it right ,she messes with her amp alot and I cant stand her..It seemed to me that she has the most experience playing but I was wrong,the drummer and I started playing our instruments for 5 months and we are much better than she is (she played for 8 years) .
    I have been trying to avoide letting her play-practice the other songs we are doing ,whats getting one my nerves is that she doesnt want me to be the frontman because "Im high most of the time " (Im a diabetic ) which is very untrue and I have only been "high" once during practice ..I dont even see why that even bothers her..
    Our "pianist" said he'll play the piano because he thought she was better than him in guitar...He plays most of three piece songs (on guitar) because she says she has "no time" to practice (we arent doing anything hard ,White Stripes,Blink 182,Nirvana) .

Im sorry you had to listen to my ranting and terrible
    English.Lol.

Should I hold on to her or should I kick her out?

PS :We are still kids in highschool btw

2. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011
    I don't have the time to read your post but based solely on the title the answer is yes.

3. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Yeah. Kick her out.

4. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

5. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    So I don't know that bands you listed or their songs' level of difficulty for a guitarist. That being said, bands and bandmates will come and go. That is true especially in groups made up of musicians that are in their teens.

The pianist seems to think the existing guitarist is decent. At least he feels that she's better than he is on guitar. I don't know if that's really all that great or not. The ability to play the correct notes in time is important for any musician.

I'm not sure what it means to waste time acting like a sl*t. Back when I was in high school, we tried really hard to get the sl*ts to come see our bands! LOL. But in my mind, practice is practice. It's not texting, drinking, smoking, etc. (sl*tting?) time. It's not even time for learning songs. The individual musicians should do that on their own time. Band practice should be time reserved for working on the band as a single unit. Folks that can do that, play well, and get along with the rest of the band belong in the band. Folks that can't do all that do not belong.

Personally, I'd probably ask her to tune in a little better during practice and see if that helps. Remind everyone that they should have a good grasp on the required material by the time practice rolls around. Maybe things will improve.

Good luck!

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Is she attractive? If so, I would make her the frontwoman for the band, and then quit.

7. no question.. if she can't play a song like seven nation army in 6 months... then she has no skill AT ALL. Especially if she isn't even trying... kick her to the curb

8. When I was in high school (Reagan was president, but that's besides the point), I learned an important lesson: No one, no matter how talented they are, are worth keeping in a band if they are pain in the *** and ultimately hold you back. Your guitarist ISN'T talented and IS holding you back.

Out she goes....

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yeah this band sounds like all some kind of allful mess...run!

10. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    never pass up an opportunity to fire a guitarist

11. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    dang! You beat me to it!!

12. You're laughing because of how she looks? That's not cool, relevant, or funny. :scowl:

13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    This thread is dumb. And offensive.
    Your derogatory statements regarding her have nothing to do with her guitar playing ability, and your immaturity level is painfully obvious. Additionally, shame on the guys who jumped on a bandwagon to shame or objectify this girl along with the OP.

I'm not claiming some moral high ground, but this is just GRADE A CLASSLESS.

14. 7 Nation Army is difficult to play, for more than 10 seconds... by then I'm so bored that I say "just do it like the original" and stop.

But yeah, fire her. No need for that sexual crap. Only screw fans,

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'd get rid of her. If she's that "experienced" she shouldn't have any problems playing seven nation army. Especially after working on it for 6 months!! And, if she can't keep time that's a no no in my book. Every person in the band should be relatively good with timing. Period. If they aren't they shouldn't be playing in a band. Timing is huge!!

16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yep

17. MUH FEELINGS!

18. +1,000. It just ain't right.

Mods, pull the plug.

19. MORE FEELINGS! SO MANY FEELINGS! ISN'T IT JUST AWFUL?

EVERYONE! QUICK! DELETE YOUR VAGUELY OFFENSIVE STATEMENTS ABOUT A GIRL NOBODY PERSONALLY KNOWS!

20. soitainly

soitainly

Aug 21, 2012
    It sounds like you and your bandmates have more problems than just a guitarist who can't play. You need to learn to treat people decently, calling a girl a <names> just isn't nice, regardless of whether you like her or not.

Now to answer your question, if a band member isn't pulling their weight, and no one likes her, then yes you have reasons to boot her from the band. But do so in mature way, just say that she isn't pulling her weight and be done with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.