Should I let this band go?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jul 30, 2004.

1. I've been spending a whole bunch of time with this one band that I happened to start, and while I love the members in it, I've been busy learning the limits of my frustration over 5 months time. I have a drummer that wants to be a guitarist and doesn't have the skills, a guitarist that can play guitar OK, but not exactly great at either guitar or drums (which he also plays), and a lead singer that seems to be coming along quite well. the guitarist has decent skills but it seems like every time I turn around, I hear crap coming out of the amp we're using. Lately I've had the guitarist's drumset for like 2 months, and really I'm noticing that the guy isn't cutting it, between him dealing with a classic rock band that he thinks is going to get famous. so far I've been working playing with the drummer and lead, and we're doing great. the problem is that whenever the guitarist comes out, not only does he get a little reactive in turn making us all hostile, but it seems like the guy just doesn't care. When we talked with him, he SAID he was going to make more time for this band, but even then I'm just noticing that we still get frustrated at eachother so easily we're on the verge on calling it quits. I was actually told by my drummer today, "I hate to say it, but it almost seems like we're not good enough for you anymore", and we practice ONCE A WEEK.

In addition, it seems that the equipment we're using is just turning to crap. I have a guitar amp we're dealing with right now that not only is not loud enough (we remedied this by putting it on a cabinet we can roll around) but sounds sloppy whenever i walk by it, two guitars that are probably as cheap as anyone can find them (worse than squire in aspects), and a crapload of Karaoke mics.

Is there any way to get this going back together? I don't want to lose members, but i sure as HELL don't want the band staying the way it is, seeing as we're all friends for now. Is there any way that I can actually get my friend better? I hate to hear that I can't do anything to help this out, seeing as I really don't know anyone else, and I'm not willing to drive over fifty miles to find someone that sucks. so you guys give me your advice....

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What does the guitarist's weight have to do with it? :confused:

Imo you need to have a band meeting, and everyone get their ideas out on the table of what direction they would like the band to go. If everyone has the same general goals/ideas, then make a plan and carry on. If not, move on.

Whatever you do, dont burn the bridge behind you by telling these guys that they suck (whether they do or not). You may run into one or all in your future musical path.
  3. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Generally speaking, it can hurt your bands image, especially when looking for record deals, where beautiful is better.
  4. well, how many 350 pound men do you see playing guitar in bands? Guaranteed I have not seen many where I live. It was an off-handed comment. Plus, I believe that the amount of meat on a person's arms affects speed, endurance, and dexterity to a certain degree. It's all about how the player compensates for it.
    As for the same goals and reasons for being in the band, the goals we have a focus on, it's really the reasons we're all in it that are different. who knows, maybe I just have to stand up and say to him, "self taught skills aren't going to get you that far unless you have some taught knowledge to accompany it, be it from a book, or a teacher." Maybe that's part of the where are there good online guitar lessons?
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Just go buy a ****ING TAD CD. :mad:
    Weight has nothing to do with talent, or musicianship.
  6. TAD? sorry if I offended you, I meant to put the words "no offense" in my last post
  7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Dude, that's a lame attitude to take. My buddy in our jazz band is huge, and that doesnt stop him from out-chopping any other guitarist I've seen locally. far as the "image", if it's that important to you, you're not playing music for the right reasons.

Those are my beliefs at least.
  8. Ok, I'm wrong. I've only seen one, and so far, I haven't seen much of a sense of rythm. Image doesn't mean anything otherwise I wouldn't be playing bass.
  9. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Thats ok. But I think the point is that if you don't like the way some one plays [no matter what they look like] that should be the deciding factor. And as far as self taught, think about it..........

As for as TAD, TAD was one of the heaviest if not the heaviest Seattle bands from the early 90’s, and Tad [him self] was around 350 - 400 lb. All in all a great band.
  10. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Weekly band meetings, bring up the beefs there with everyone involved. get all on the same page moving in the same direction. If not it won't work!
  11. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Shawn Lane got very heavy at the end (R.I.P) and he could shred like no tommorow, and play so many other styles.
  12. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    But how often do you see a 300 lbs. guy on MTV ripping it up? The record indusries are typically looking for what they can sell to 13 year old girls now a days(not saying that that's the only market).
  13. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Ah but when was the last time anyone actually saw anything GOOD on Mtv.

Also please explain Fat Joe's popularity to me if you will.
  14. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    well yeah if you want to become a manufactured MTV superstar then more power to ya.

There are more meaninful ways of music success IMHO
    Unfortunantely music success is never easy. :crying:
  15. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I never said that's what I wanted, or what he wanted, but assuming that's what he wants, that's typically gonna be the way it works.

Sorry if I stepped on someones toes here.
  16. NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    My $0.02
    Why don't you all just sit down and talk it all out, see how everyone feels. If it's only a gear is crap thing well, save up and in time get more gear. It seems to me that the best thing to do is to tell the guitarist [no matter what size he seems to be; in his head as well as his physical size] how you and the other members feel; and try and be as calm and inoffensive as you can. If things just get bottled up for to long things can get out of hand.