Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I plunk down the $600?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pause, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    So, since Christmas just came around and I've been working extra days over winter break (I'm still a high school student), I've got some extra cash. For a long time I've wanted to have a Fender Jazz, and recently I'm just so interested in the Geddy Lee bass. It sounds, feels, and looks great to me. It would be very different from my ESP Ltd. B-104. In a good way, I can only imagine.

What I'm trying to get to is, will this be worth the $630 I would spend? Also, if I were to take extremely good care of it would I be able to resell it (only if necessary) close to that price?

This is a lot of money to me, and I'm chronically indecisive... please help me out on this one. I'm just not sure

Thanks in advance,
    Brett:confused:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yes, get it. Great bass, especially for the price. As for reselling it, you will not be able to get that much out of it. If you happen to find later that you want something different from it, you can do things like putting in a preamp, or different pickups. These can really change a bass, or make it's inherent sound really jump out. It's a great bass to play stock, and a great bass to tinker with. That what I love about Japanese Fenders. They have near the attention to detail that the American standards have, but less cost. Great stuff. So, go and get it, i don't think you will be let down. If you can try it before you buy it, do, just to be sure it's what you want.:cool:

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here is how to get back what you paid, if you think you might sell it later on.

Hold on to your cash, and watch Ebay, bassgear, Harmony Central and Talkbass Classifieds for a used one. They go for around $500, usually.

Buy the used one, keep it as long as you want, and then if you decide to sell it, you will get back most, if not all of the $500, as long as the bass is in good shape.

4. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    what he said

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

1st off. What are you going to do with this Bass? Play it, or look at it?

I was in a similar situation. I wanted the "look" with an emphasis on being "economical". I went lookin' at MIM and MIJ's, and on a lark, I play an brand new MIA P-Bass and I paid 3x as much for it because it met all of the needs I had:

It looks good.
    It plays well.
    It has great tone!
    It fell into the image/sound/style of what I wanted my bass to look like.

I am happy in all aspects. But you know what? There are still other nicer basses out there I could've probably got for less $$$! :eek: But I didn't get up close with those instruments.

I am not "stuck" with this instrument. I am happy every time I have a gig, or a rehearsal, or practising .

6. I'm happy with the way your bass looks too P. Aaron;)

But,like what Embellinator said, go for used...

Good luck.

7. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Well, I bought it, four weeks old, for $610. I love it so far... I just want to play it all day 'cept I've got work soon :mad: ... but it's ok, 'cause it's payday. Thanks anyway!

Oh, I probably wouldn't have bought one online, because I hate buying things online.

8. P. Aaron

Rock On!

9. Pete Newman

Pete Newman

Dec 29, 2003
    I don't know anything about Geedy Lee basses but if there are pawn shops where you live check them out. There is no end to the secound hand basses out there.

10. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    but the pawn shops around here are run by assholes... I went to A LOT when I was shopping for my first bass. Plus, I'm not 18, nor do I look it, so I'd have to drag my parents around, and neither of them would want to go into pawn shops anymore

11. P. Aaron

Hey Pause, there's an un-written rule here at TalkBass.com about buying a new instrument:

"Let's See Some Pics of It!"

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ditto, get out the digi-cam so we can oooh and ahhh, we live for purchases by others. !!

13. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Will do... as soon as I get a digital camera. Maybe I'll be able to get my friend to lend me his.

But I can tell you this: It looks like every other stock Geddy Lee bass! :D

Brett

14. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    We know what it looks like, but we still love to see the Geddy Lee Jazz bass.

Here's mine :[​IMG][​IMG]