1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I take the leap to a five-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SgtKoi, Feb 24, 2008.

1. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    Hi,

For my next bass I might get a 5-string. The thing is, I don't have the biggest hands in the world. Would the neck be easy to get around?

Thx

Roy

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Depends on what you buy. Try a bunch of them out and do it when you find one that fits your hands.

3. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I have really small hands for a bass player also, and 5 strings have been no issue for me at all, even way up the neck. I say try it.

I recommend looking in the Ibanez line first, as their necks have always been my favorite for small hands.

4. FPS

FPS

Dec 17, 2006
    Ohio
    +1 for the Ibanez. It made the transition easy from a 4 to 5.

I bought a used SR505 played it for a year. When I upgraded I sold it for about what I paid for it. Nice necks though.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    It's going to feel a little odd no matter what 5er you get. You may want rest your thumb on the low B and just get used to it being there & play like you always have. Eventually reaching for those low notes & finally CRAVING those low notes. I know a lot of hot players with smaller hands who play 6 & 7 strings with no problem. Jusr remember that sometimes a thinner neck can be coupled with tighter string spacing which may not be your thing. IMHO - start with the Laklands, they have a neutral feel that seems to be comfortable for a wide variety of players. Good Luck from Vegas!

6. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    If you REALLY wanna get the feeling that 5+ strings is no problem....learn Double Bass :)

After playing double bass, even 7-strings feel like playing on a toothpick.

7. +1 on the Lakland. I really had no intention of going to a five string but did want a Lakland. I found a great deal on a Lakland 5er right here on TB and now I love the five string.

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    While I just bought a 4 banger I've played a 5 string exclusively for a while.

It all started by being in a band that tuned down to B and Drop A, then progressed to a normally tuned jamband. That was different, but for songs in B and D (or any key really) I found the extra range to give me more options while improvising. I always loved to start on a higher B on the E string and work my way down to that low B.

Try to find a bass that has a taught B string. On some of the less expensive models that my be hard to find. Lakland Skylines I find to have a pretty good B string. Pricey at about 9 bills new. Look for a used one.

9. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Fiver's are a lot of fun. You don't need big hands to play one. And, if you learn to play with your thumb on the back of the neck, rather than hooking it over the top edge of the neck, you'll be learning proper playing technique, too.

10. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Peavey and Ibanez basses can make the transition to 5 strings REALLY easy. Especially the Peavey Grinds. Those things have smaller necks than most guitars.

11. I don't have the biggest hands in the world and i'm a relatively small guy. 5' 8" and about a buck forty. The StingRay 5 is obnoxiously comfortable for me and I leaped to it from a 4 string Ibanez.

Good luck. Hope to see you in the 5 string world. :bassist:

12. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I'm 5'5" and my hands are not very big. I get around on a 6 just fine. Remember: It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it! (i.e. technique not hand size ;) )