Should I try next; MXR M87, Cali 76, or Supersymmetry

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Two-Spirit, Apr 2, 2018.

1. MXR M87 Compressor

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Darkglass Supersymmetry

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Origin Cali 76

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Compression is the last effect I want in my stripped down pedalboard. I'm using;
    1. Pigtronix Bass Fat Drive
    2. a Cheap Behringer tuner, I'll eventually replace
    3. MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
    4. MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe
    I've upgraded my cables and patch cables, I want a Pedaltrain Nano+. Anyway, I've tried Pigtronix Philosopher Bass and thought my Bass Fat Drive sounded good with and without it. I didn't like the squashed clean sound. I like my bass to growl and it's clarity but I think my clean sound isn't as good as the Bass Fat Drive and I think i nedd to beef it up.
    I'm using a smaller amp, Ampeg BA115v2, because that's all I need. So I want my pedalboard to rock. My Bass is a Peavey Cirrus 5 string.

2. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Try a TC HyperGravity. It is a digital multi-band comp that has a lot of user parameters that can be set with an editor. I haven't tried it yet, but it gets good reviews. Each of the three bands of compression allows you to add a clean blend. So you could clean blend the mids and highs more than the lows for a dynamic comp setting. It sells new for $99

-Frank

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    My favorite comps are the Cali, FEA Opti-Fet and FEA De-CL.

4. Owned the MXR, little loud for me, I didn't try the darkglass, but I own the Cali CB and it they best compressor I have tried, well worth the price tag

BurningSkies and Two-Spirit like this.
  5. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    If you are asking, probably stick with the Cali. The Super Symmetry is great at particular sounds, but if you are questioning if it is for you it probably isn't. And Mosfed is right, check out FEA labs if you have the resources.

Two-Spirit likes this.
  6. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I just bought a used Wampler Ego after reading up. I'm stalking the mailbox daily. Seems like it's in your price range too.

scubaduba and Two-Spirit like this.
  7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    My Cali beat some heavyweight contenders from EBS, RMI, Diamond, and Keeley.

But I've just sold it after buying a Spectracomp. The little compressor that could!

The Hypergravity might be worth getting if you're dead set on creating your own Toneprints and want more on board control. But you miss out on the tons of bass specific presets that are out for the Spectracomp, even the stock one is bang on for me straight out of the box.

scubaduba likes this.
  9. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    @bongomania has new Smoothies for sale on Reverb. I really like mine. I'd also recommend the Empress, FEA DE-CL, and Diamond

10. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The Suave Smoothie is real nice. The tough smoothies are sold out.