1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I use my wireless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bellis1, Nov 10, 2010.

1. I recently purchased a AKG UHF-SR40 Diversity.

I found out it operated in the 700MHz band, (which is now illegal) but besides the illegal factor, how prone is it to interference?

Most of you would say "just try it" but the only opportunity I have to try it is at a huge gig this weekend, and I can't afford to look unprofessional when/if it squeals on me.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    set it up with the same long cable that you'd use anyway, so if it goes south, you can yank the short beltpack cable out of your bass, yank the long cable out of the receiver, slap it into your bass and keep playing.

chances are it won't be an issue. it's not that the bandwidth spectrum is already gone, it's that it's going to begin to go away.

3. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    yes, we play metal and every chance i get to jump down and mingle / throwdown in the pit, i do it. u should test it out and home, rig it up jump around, test is as if your up on stage. also if your like me i throw my bass around my neck, it get tangled alot too.

4. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Interesting. I had been wondering if the used market would start getting flooded with these, and if buyers would be aware of the spectrum use. Did you know before buying that it operated in reallocated spectrum? Not judging, just curious.

5. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Huge important gig = not a time to experiment with untested equipment.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

6. This.
    I recently went wireless, should have done it years ago. Big Gig, presumably means Big Stage, perfect oppertunity to feel the freedom. I made the mistake of cliping the transmitter to the top of my jeans and nearly broke the unit when i took my bass off, clip it to my strap now:)

7. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    You should look into a Brace Audio wireless...$175 and the BEST tone and clarity I have EVER used and I have used many.....you will NOT be dissapointed. This wireless gives you your exact tone, not colored like most others.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    lots of love around here (some from me even) for the line 6 relay digital wireless.

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Try it out during the soundcheck. If it presents problems, go back to the cable.

10. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This. Save it for the smaller gig after you tried it out at home/practice a bunch of times.

11. rkingly

rkingly "Playing Reverend Basses on a Regular Basis"

Sep 8, 2007
    Virginia
    Endorsing Artist: Reverend Guitars
    + 1 for Line 6...... walterw, you sure stay up late. :p

+1 for having cable ready if theres a sudden problem.

12. Thats why I am stuck with this thing, is because I had no idea. I decided to not try and risk it at this gig. I'll probably turn around and sell it. Theres no use for me with a wireless that I can't use.

Are you all talking about the Line 6 that has the function where you can scan for a good freq?

13. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    So the seller neglected to mention that. Interesting times...

14. Yes. Exactly. What wireless do you personally use?

15. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Who, me? I don't use a wireless.

16. What freq. do these operate at?

17. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    I use an old audio technica wireless. Doesn't mess with my tone too much and I plug it in with my regular chord.

When setting up, I plug in the wireless and wander around the club to see if I get any drop outs or static areas. If I do, I won't use it. Otherwise, I'm good to go.

18. Is it a guitarbug? Or normal receiver?

19. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I had this issue just the other day with my AKG WMS80 system. It runs on the same bandwidth. Check out my thread here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709405

Basically i would get buzzes and pops while moving around. If I stood still I'd be ok... until someone sent a txt message and then all hell would break loose.

20. dboomer

dboomer

Nov 14, 2010
    The new Relay series never needs to scan for channels. They always work, you simply assign one and start playing.

Don Boomer
    Wireless Sales Engineer
    Line 6, Inc.