1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

show off songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by roarman1, Feb 27, 2008.

1. roarman1

roarman1

Jan 12, 2008
    I've been playing bass for 2/3 years. does anyone know any songs that are good to showoff to impress girls? no one girl in peticular.

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    whatever you play won't impress any girls

3. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Just have them sit on your cabinet, and play open E. That'll impress em.

4. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    "More Than Words" by Extreme

Gets 'em every time! ;)

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The bassline to "Kiss," by Prince.

6. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.

Some girls like spelling words correctly :smug:

But yeah, girls aren't often impressed with bass. UNLESS they're favorite bands/songs have very diffinitive basslines eg.
    Greenday - Longview
    RHCP - Aeroplane, pea, around the world solo

but you're closest thing to a home run is sadly something like the Seifield theme

generally though if you wanna impress a girl get an acoustic learn 5 or 6 open chords and something crappy like the notting hill song from rohan keating. That's what one of my mates does. he completely swooned one of my hot female friends and he didn't even mean to.

That's why i bought a 2x15!

7. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Acoustic guitar.

8. I actually youtubed that to see what the bassline was. At the beginning of the video I was like... huh? Funny stuff. To the OP, if you want to impress girls, put down the bass and pick up some weights, or a guitar. One of the two.

9. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    It is funny. I remember a time when being able to sing that song actually meant something, especially to the fairer sex. I hadn't seen the video in years and years and I totally forgot how it started. It's pure coincidence that it starts with the bassist turning his Mesa/Boogie to standby. It works splendidly for what I was going for though, as part of my point was that you're not likely to impress many women with your bass skills alone. But rather, with the timeless interplay of a voice and an instrument like a guitar. :D

For the curious: http://youtube.com/watch?v=kt7L4X4li_k

10. or better yet

open b

11. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    Learn the bassline to Brown Eyed Girl....
    Brick house... Baby Got back....any popular hip-hop bassline, like Let's Get It Started... by Black eyed Peas....

sounds ultra cheesy but hey, it's what THEY want to hear.

12. Play something fast and pedal 8th or 16th notes fingerstyle only.

Look fantasy chic up and down a few times until she notices, then divert your (and her) attention to those strumming fingers using your eyes.

Look back at her, smirk slyly, watch for reaction.

;)

13. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Classical Thump

14. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I always thought that Jason Newstead's San Diego solo and Cliff's little riff in the middle of Orion were quite nice and melodic... My ladyfriends seem to like them. Still metal enough not to look like a pansy in front of the guys. :p

15. Learn to look good, which also means having band mates that aren't as good looking as you. A lot of times the girls will go for the bass player because he's the cutest one in the band. See Fall Out Boy.

Just having any instrument and being able to play popular songs is a chick magnet, only not on the same level as being a guitarist or vocalist. I'm sure even a theremin player can get girls.

16. Wait, wait, were actually calling him a bassist now? When did that happen?

17. I find that Billy Jean usually gets them going....

18. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    I think as long as you can play groovy bass lines and be confident and comfortable while doing it, you'll impress girls. Most women just get turned on to musicians automatically. It's all about how you play it. If you can look and BE the most confident and comfortable while playing bass, the eyes will be on you. I see a lot of shoe gazing bass players out there... The eyes automatically move to who ever is looking like he's confident and having fun. It's almost a law of the universe or something.;)

19. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    Lmfao, you can play something so simple and impress them ,or do the gui**** method; play Eruption,there's a guy on YouTube doing it in fast and slow motion. You don't really have to play something extremely difficult to impress a chick , unless she's a good musician and smart then you BETTER prepare something well ,but not to offend anyone you're average non musician chick will think a lot of things are impressive. :smug:

20. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    +1 and LOL!