1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show us your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmouse85, Jul 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brooks, that Hohner's real purdy. Did you just happen to get fretlesses with partial lines like that, or can you have it done?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Rick Turner was ordered like that. Partial fret lines plus 35" scale is what makes it a Custom, and not a standard. Hohner was originally done that way 30 years ago. I don't know much about it, didn't open the back yet, so I don't even know the model or the serial number.

I am sure that any competent luthier could do partially inlaid fretlines. I really like them - when you think about it, when you play, you only see the side of the neck. With these lines, I feel as if I am playing a fretted (in terms of finger positioning), while the fingerboard is still essentialy plain. This allowed me to switch to fretless literally overnight, without intonation problems.

[Edited by Brooks on 08-27-2000 at 07:21 PM]

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Brooks --

What's the finish on that Hohner fingerboard? Do you dare put roundwounds on it? What have you used it for? If you're tired of it can I have it?

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Geez, that thing looks like its trying desperately to swallow me...whats up with that?!

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Eli, like all maple fingerboards/fretboards, this one has a finish, which looks like nitrocellulose (SP???) lacquer. The bass came with STEEL roundwounds on it, and the fingerboard doesn't have a scratch on it yet.

I just got this bass off of eBay last week...for all of $380. Not bad for a 30-yr old all-maple carved hollow bass in good playing condition. I am in trilema as to what to do now... restore it to it's original condition (needs the original bridge and tuners, plus a refin),
    or leave the Shallers and the ABM bridge on, but just refin the wood, or
    treat it as a great piece of wood, pop in an extra pup in bridge position, piezo under the ABM, U-Retro preamp for magnetic pups, Highlander for the piezo and create a real MONSTER ;)

6. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Come on John, show us the Conklins and the Ricks again. They are worth a second look, verrrrrry nice axes,

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ok :D!!

first up, the active, starting line-up:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

oh, and that's Sally, the hitting coach, in the picture with the 8 string fretless.

here's a closeup of the 8 string body - i love the koa wood and the wood lines on the 25th-36th frets.

[​IMG]

pending right now (paid for but not delivered yet) i have an 8 string fretted, identical to the fretless, except the wood, instead of being koa, is flame walnut, like the dark brown wood on the 3rd bass above, and the neck is purpleheart instead of wenge. i also have mostly paid for but not yet delivered, one of these...

[​IMG]

i should be getting both of these basses, as well as a replacement neck for my bolt on (the 3rd bass above) (flamed maple fretboard w/ purple heart "flame" inlay like the fretted neck on my doubleneck) sometime this month. i hope. :rolleyes:

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    here are the retirees...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and lastly, the bass that started it all :D ...

[​IMG]

i did the defret job, and painted the silver and gold vine, and then refinished the fretboard with Zar, a floor finish. sorta worked ok, except it got yellow, so now the design i painted is gold and dark gold instead of silver and gold. the week after i finished this, i got the pedula fretless, so this has been played this way exactly once.

9. hey john, can I get that white ric? hehe, I wish =P I gotta get the pics of my good bass developed and online =P then I can show off my lil' ibanez bass =) prolly be the only ibanez up here :eek: hehe Later!

-Willz

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Slapdaddy, you dont slap that Rick do ya?! Talk about a crime against nature...

11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    John...is that a Kramer DUKE, or an ALIEN bass?

12. I would not, could not,
    Slap a Rick,
    I would not, could not,
    use a pick,

I only will slap my Jazz,
    Slap it, pluck it,
    Like a spaz!

;) :D

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very good slap happy, you should add that to the ole cat in the hat thread.

and, yeah it's an alien - were they made by kramer? i never knew. i thought they were hondo. either way, that's quality right there, buddy :D

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lol, good job slaphappy. I thought i was going to have to kill you for a second. Looks like Randy is teaching well!

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Finally got some pictures of my latest bass :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Great looking bass, Bruce. It's a shame what Gibson did to the Tobias name. I sure would like to get my hands on a pre-G likes yours....:)

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, bruce very cool. i really like zebra wood.

18. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Closing this one due to duplicity.

-GM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.