Show us your "parts basses"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChickWithaRic, Jan 10, 2022.

1. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Some of the sweetest instruments around are parts basses. You chose each part, you spent forever changing things around in your head, eventually dropped your money, waited for it all to arrive, then you made it all work, with every tiny detail being just for you, just the way you like it. It doesn't get more custom than that.

I'll start, with my Jazz bass.

The body is northern ash, it was made by a UK company called Guitarbuild. Shipping was reasonably priced and fast, it came in at a little under $120. What I really liked was that if you choose their "buy from stock" option, you get the exact same item you saw on their website. Very cool. It's a 3 piece body with nice figuring, and is a 1960 pattern, with pre-CBS pickup spacing and it even has a Fullerton hump. All the finish is Tung oil and beeswax.

IMG_0542.jpg
    The neck is Chinese and is made by Kmise. Mine has carbon reinforcing bars, allegedly. I haven't cut it in half to confirm this. It came with a paddle headstock, and was completely unfinished, which for me was a positive factor. On the downside, the heel was 2mm too thick to fit a body using standard Fender dimensions, so it needed a little work. Otherwise, it ticked all my boxes - maple fretboard, black block inlays, and unbound. I dislike bound necks for many reasons, and it goes nicely with the pre-CBS body for the sake of enthusiasts. It needed fretwork. It needed a LOT of fretwork. But I'm happy with it. After a little work, I got the neck pocket super tight.

IMG_0372.jpg

I gave it an early 50s P shape head shape just to be rebellious, and gave it my own fake branding.

IMG_0547.jpg
    Tuners are Guyker, made in Korea. They are very nice. String retainer is a Hipshot.

Preamp is Guyker, too, and works really nicely whilst still looking stock J unless you look closely. Annoyingly, the stacked tone controls don't have a center detent position. I've become used to it.

IMG_0544.jpg
    The bridge is a Babicz because I think it's the best Fender bridge going, and the strings go thru the body.

IMG_0543.jpg
    Pickups are Wilkinson vintage alnico-v, in genuine Fender covers, and although they do sound really good, they are placeholders for something better.

I'm going to be ordering a Geddy Lee set from Tom Brantley very soon, to replace them.

View attachment 4536438

Show us your parts basses

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    baddarryl, Inara, cazzo and 37 others like this.
  2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    My Partscasters.
    Evil Twins.jpg
    P1240097.jpg
    P1250057.jpg

cazzo, Roger W, rllefebv and 42 others like this.
  3. My parts Bass is very similar.

It consists of:

One piece swamp ash jazz Bass style body

Fender classic 60s jazz Bass neck and reverse tuners

Fender jazz bass bridge

Pickups are tonerider jazz plus

Stacked jazz controls

I too ordered the body from guitar build in the UK (where I live).
    A7939D08-C50B-483E-BD0B-5ECDD920F2EA.jpeg 70D54785-E25F-40EC-BF26-E74E16B18F59.jpeg BBA3E2EA-46D3-4A51-9957-E647ADF48EFC.jpeg

It’s light and resonant. It also looks beautiful I finished it with gun stock oil.

DougieB, Roger W, rllefebv and 26 others like this.
  4. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Those guys make nice bodies. I like your 1960 style bridge grounding.

5. I only recently learned enough to even attempt luthier type work. But here are my two.
    4&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=8pZ9308EOnQAX-21Fn5&tn=rirzuRadgjzT68Oo&_nc_ht=scontent.feau1-1.jpg

The one on the left started life as a '78 Musicmaster that I was gifted after it was recovered from a barn in dreadful condition, paint scaling off, all parts were rusted. I had it repainted in a blue shade, replaced the pots, guard and tuners that were shot, kept the original bridge/pup. I played that for a number of years that way. Later when my son was in high school, he airbrushed the body for a school art project. At that time I changed the pup out to SD 4 pole and installed a Squier Musicmaster string through body bridge. Just last winter I replaced the original neck that was very "chunky" for a thinner Squier Bronco neck. At that time my daughter made a new headstock decal for the "Broncomaster" and I painted the headstock to match the body. I also changed out the SD pickup to a Nordstrand tele custom 17mm string spacing pup at the same time I changed the neck.

The one on the right was an actual "bucket of parts" that I assembled over last summer/fall. It's a Squier CV Mustang body, another Bronco neck with custom made "Broncostang" sticker. New pots from Wainwright guitars. I installed all the parts and shielding. My daughter hand painted the body.

I love these basses, totally off the wall designs, and I know they aren't for everyone.

One thing I notice now is that the "tension" for lack of better word seems better on the Broncostang. If I lay them on a flat countertop and pluck the strings the "ring out" on that bass seems much better. Considering installing a Mustang bridge on the Bronomaster if I can get my hands on one. Otherwise I think they're done.

cazzo, rllefebv, Mickey666 and 29 others like this.
  6. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    I have several parts basses, this is my latest. Daphne blue paired
    with a Classic Vibe bound/blocked jazz neck strung with Boomers...
    image.jpeg
    Choice was between a Kmise maple neck, a rosewood neck or the blocked and bound. I fit them all and went with the CV neck, it just fit the best, felt the best, and has great figuring it's an amazing parts bass. I haven't seen any blocked and bound maple necks with the Daphne in the wild (not sure why) I think it pairs nicely.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Yetiparty, DougieB, rllefebv and 22 others like this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The one on the left: from Rondo I got an unpainted Ash body, a neck, fingers and pickguard. Pups are Fenders that I bought on sale, and bought the control kit (passive stacked kit) and bridge from guitar parts resource. I painted it with paint from reranch.

I love burgundy mist!

IMGP3381a.jpg

8. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    This is a Classic Vibe P with a Fender replacement P neck.
    Highway one tuners, vintage style bent plate bridge with threaded saddles and Fender original 62 pick ups, strung with ghs flats...
    image.jpeg

9. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Th Lug-O-Matic
    amds866i987cvlmcvd0iwj4k8mt9funj.jpg
    G&L Tribute neck, no name ebay body, Seymour Dunkan Quarter Pounder, Omega Bridge. Goes to every gig with me.

10. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    My trio of Vander Jam Basses.

IMG_5589.jpg

DougieB, Roger W, rllefebv and 25 others like this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

all of my axes are from parts. this is one of two P-basses, and the one i'd call my "prettiest" piece from my small collection:

front and back copy.png
    it's blonde (like my wife) with some purple accents (my daughter's favorite color). this one was put together in order to 1) satisfy my life-long, 'kid stuff', lust for an ax with a maple/maple neck (all my others had dark woods/materials for fingerboards) :) , 2) end with the lightest possible p-bass ;) , 3) impress my wife while i indulged myself :whistle: , and 4) ensure an easy entree into the glarry club (great people)! :thumbsup:

made from the following parts:
    - paulownia body from a glarry fretless p-bass (got a nice one!).
    - chinese neck from an ebay seller (super stable, but had to roll the playing edge for comfort).
    - pickguard from pickguardian (he was slow, but hey: it's purple!)
    - carbon fiber machine heads by gotoh (the lightest-weight machines i could find).
    - schaller 3D bridge (a favorite bridge).
    - pickup: dimarzio DP127 (i may eventually change it to a delano model).
    - richter VT pre (prewired, self-grounding, no soldering!)
    - schaller straplocks
    - knobs from amazon (i'll reduce more weight when/if i change these from brass to plastic)
    - TI jazz rounds

i made a couple of custom decals for it, too,
    here are some random getting-it-all-together pics:
    20210701_122650.jpg 20201013_163614.jpg 20201015_161921.jpg 20191220_162534.jpg 20191220_162613.jpg 20210704_154028 blonde2b.jpg

i love playing this lightweight ax (6.2 lbs.)!

12. Bobbylon

Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    EF316638-BF27-4377-9CE3-EEEC0E73DAAE.png Fender Antigua mim reissue jazz body. American precision neck. Bartolini single coils. Audere active preamp. Hipshot kickass bridge.

13. Philip McAdam

Philip McAdam Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2021
    Gabriola Island, BC.
    My parts bass, a home cut body and a Mexican Fender neck. Fender hardware from various sources.

Attached Files:

14. Philip McAdam

Philip McAdam Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2021
    Gabriola Island, BC.
    Really nice paint work on those two.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  15. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    My gig basses are random ash P bodies... one from Guitar Mill and one's a Mendel P. Otherwise they are identically appointed, with USA Geddy Lee Jazz necks, Dominger P and Tom Brantley Geddy J pups, 920d parallel-serial control joints, Hipshot detuner, Decoboom pickguards, Dunlop straplocks, and D'Addario EXL170 strings.

PXL_20210327_210334548.jpg

PXL_20211002_015209923.jpg

My adaptation of the USA Geddy Lee Jazz Bass involves MJT alder bodies, USA Geddy necks, Tom Brantley Geddy pups, Badass II bridges, 920d Jazz control joints, Hipshot detuners, Dunlop straplocks, and D'Addario EXL170s.

PXL_20211027_235201388.jpg

PXL_20211027_234749964.jpg

I also did a couple flats Ps with GZRs, I might post those later. In any case, these all sound and play as great as they look!

16. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    70's musicman slab body,
    EMG active jazz pickups
    Moses graphite neck

I sold it a couple years ago and miss this weird beauty. photo 2 - Copy.JPG

17. most of mine are parts basses in one way or the other, these 2 are the most "parts" though

early 80s Ibanez medium scale. I only had the body to start with. I bought an Allen Eden paddle head neck, cut my own pick guard, added tuners (cheap ones) Musiclilly bridge, Emg Pickups.
    IMG_2980.JPG IMG_3339.JPG
    then theres this Glarry body
    Some no name neck that I reshaped the headstock, cut a pick guard, a cheap bridge that fit the bill ( thanks for the tip @C Stone ) added 2 sets of Oripure pickups with CTS Pots and an on/off and Series/Parallel switch. (This Pic was taken before I added the on/off switch)
    This one sounds fantastic and plays great!!
    IMG_4523.JPG

18. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Here they are... MJT bodies, Allparts PJMO necks, EMG GZR pups, Dunlop straplocks, and LaBella 760FS flats. Just great basses. The GZR pup on the gold one was initially installed flipped by accident but has since been fixed.

PXL_20210508_060859824.jpg

PXL_20220110_182430815.jpg

19. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

These are all parts basses. 20210721_125726.jpg 20210721_130028.jpg 20211115_204309.jpg

20. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    My main squeeze for 3+ years!

Squier body (Blue Metallic)
    Fender Jazz Neck (2001 MIM)
    Fender bridge, neckplate, knobs
    Duncan SPB1
    Chinese Pearl PG, cheap bridge cover
    Strap locks (allparts Schaller style)
    Shielded, New harness (250k, .047, cloth, switchcraft)

As fun to build as it is to play!
    2E168B90-A45E-4DCB-A1D1-2B721CE0E754.jpeg 845E91B3-4242-4677-B501-B1F658D4ECBC.jpeg

Yetiparty, westrock, rllefebv and 9 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022