1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SHOW YOUR CUSTOM CABS !! HOMEMADE ? FRANKENCABS ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mb94952, Oct 1, 2013.

1. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

I figured why not have a custom cab thread ?

I LOVE the size of my GK NEO 212 cab, but I wanted to give it more horsepower, so I replaced the drivers with Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 12's and now it's a 4 ohm cab, so I get all 300w out of my Mesa Walkabout. I also removed the logos and put on a Mesa logo. I love GK bass cabs, but I wanted a small footprint, ceramic magnet, 4 ohm cab so here she is !!

IMG_20131001_114015_440_zpsf63c0d28.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Prepare to get flamed by the science guys.

Looks sweet btw

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  4. mb94952

This is the 2nd one I've modded. I sold the first one to a well known national act bass player who LOVES it and it's seen in their videos, too !

5. mb94952

OK, I am going to have to disagree with your guess of me being flamed by the science guys for one solid reason - The science has already been done on this cab.

It was already designed to be sold as either a 8 ohm or 4 ohm cab. All I did was upgrade my 8 ohm Neo to a 4 ohm ceramic cab.

I just tested it out this morning and it sounds KILLER ! Just like most 4 ohm cabs, it has a very steep volume threshold, in other words the volume is loud right away.

Also, it retains that GK design to be crystal clear, yet has the growl and oomph of Mesa Boogie, so to me, I have the best of all worlds. It's been so long since I modded the last one like this I forgot just how GOOD it sounds !

In the end, I am happy and that's all that matters. :D

6. It has nothing to do with impedance, and everything to do with the remaining driver specs.

7. mb94952

OK, maybe Charlie Monroe was right then because I have NO idea what you mean...:help:

Can you or someone please explain this to me, because I am confused. If GK made this 212 cab in both an 8 ohm and 4 ohm version, then it would seem in this particular case that either 8 or 4 will work, right ???

8. The box doesnt give two turds what impedance it is labeled. That is determined by the drivers loaded in it.

As far as how a cab sounds with a particular set of drivers loaded in it, that can be determined by the TS parameters of the speaker, and the physical specs of the cab.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    While this is perfectly correct, as long as your version sounds good then GREAT. Just remember, being that you knew snot about what you were doing means that you got LUCKY in that everything worked out. Next time, you may not be so lucky. But, as long as its your gear and you're having fun, go for it.

10. mb94952

I see what you're saying, but I need to hear it in real simple terms - I don't know what TS means, etc. I am not a tech in any way, shape, or form.

Please answer this simple question, if possible - In this unique case of my cab in particular, what I did to mod it is not "wrong or incorrect" is it ? I mean if it was designed to be either 8 or 4 ohms with the same amount of square feet of air inside, then this is ok, right ? In simple, layman's terms, it sounds great, so it "works fine" right ??

11. mb94952

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In theory, a box shoukd be designed specifically for the drivers to be used in it.

In practice, a whole lot of bass cabs from a whole lot of different companies are all very similair in size and shape. Port tunings may vary but those are easily adjusted. So, it comes down to the design of the actual drivers that are used in all these very similair boxes.

In theory, yes, just swapping out drivers and stuffing them in boxes may very well sound much worse than the original. In practice, it isn't quite that bad. Most of these bass guitar drivers are all designed to at least work and sound "decent" in these boxes that are all of similar size and even shape.

Talking regular bass gear, not boutique or purpose built stuff.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep. The very first sub-link from the link I posted up-thread addresses that very thing.

14. When you pop some expensive drivers in the wrong cab and it farts out on you as soon as you try to get your money's worth, it will make learning a little about cab design seem very worthwhile. Easiest way is to download winISD for free and play about with it.

15. Matt Wilkerson

Matt Wilkerson

Oct 2, 2016
    I gathered the speakers from an old acoustic combo cab, various pc subwoofer boxes and 10 3 inch speakers from an auction and I built this monster! each cabinet can be played individually or daisy chained together! all three cabinets together runs at 6 ohms. the bottom dual 10's run at 4 Ohms, the middle cabinet runs at 8 ohms a and I have to be careful with the top cab...it runs at 2 ohms. I push it with an acoustic B600HD D Class Amp and also have pushed it with an ampeg pf-800 and it sounds clean clear and punchy! I love it!

Attached Files:

16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    My half an SVT stack:

halfsvt.