1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Showdown: Ibanez vs. Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pumpkinking39, Mar 24, 2013.

1. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    I would just like to see peoples preferences towards which brand and why they like them, i'm very curious.

2. marquezbass

marquezbass

Dec 31, 2012
    schecter. i have a schecter studio fretless and its a really nice bass.

3. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    I was curious about those, overall how does it feel?

4. Ibanez made the Roadstar, so they get my vote.

5. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Schecter. I had a Stiletto Elite four string and I liked it more than any ibanez I've ever played.

6. I've owned a few of each, and they're both great (especially considering the cost). They're both different beasts, and great of their own accord.

If I *had* to pick one to stick to, it'd be Ibanez. Most Schecters that I've played sound relatively similar whereas Ibanez has some reach into the higher end that Schecter doesn't have and it also has the ATK models that are very different from anything else that either company makes.

7. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    I was also curious about the roadstars and how "amazing" they sound.

8. BumbleB

BumbleB

Mar 19, 2013
    aurora, colorado
    I've only played around with them in the shops, but decided on purchasing a Schecter. My Stiletto Extreme 4 will be coming home with me in 13 days. :hyper: I liked the weight and feel of the Ibby necks, but none of them had as nice of a sound as the Schecters, in my opinion. The Schecters seemed to have a richer, fuller sound. But, My next bass will probably be an Ibby :D and I will probably tweak the parts to get the sound I want.

9. marquezbass

marquezbass

Dec 31, 2012
    the neck on thw studio feels really thin and comfortable. its an ok bass , its like a 7 out of 10. haha

10. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    Agreed, the stiletto custom 5 i have is amazing, however i picked up an ibanez BTB675 and it was like heaven. Thats mainly why this question came in mind! However my vote goes to schecter, and welcome to the schecter team!

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    They are both very good. You get a little bit more bass for lower price with the Ibanez's imo though.

12. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    if ibanez offered more lefties than the bottom of the line models it would be a tougher decision, but as it stands, schecter gets my vote. been playing them since '09.

13. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    When I was looking for a decent first 5-string 5 years ago, having accumulated a few 4-strings over the preceding couple of decades, I went into Guitar Center and spent a couple of hours trying every 5er in the shop for less than $1500. That included several Ibanez models as well as several Schecters. I found the through-neck Schecter Stilettos, the Elite and the Studio, to play and sound better than any of the Ibanez models, indeed, better than any other 5-strings in the shop in the price range, and they were far from the most expensive. I paid a hair over $600 for my Elite, which I still consider to be a remarkable bass for the money - though not as good an instrument as my Steinberger XL-2 or my Pedulla MVP. I was less impressed with the lower-end, bolt-on neck Schecter models, but YMMV.

The one complaint I have is that the combination of the 35" scale and the narrow 16.5mm string spacing makes it harder than I expected to switch back and forth between the Stiletto and my more traditional 34", 19mm basses. The narrow spacing is great for my left hand on fast licks, but messes with my right for fingerstyle. I've got a 34", 18mm 5er on order, and if that ends up being more natural for me, I'll sell off the Schecter, but that will be due to my deficiency, not that of the bass!

14. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I have the studio 5, I've played many many Ibanez, they just seen cheaply made and cheap material, in my opinion. For what you pay for a schecter you get a material and build quality that Ibanez will never match class for class.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Just Cor-Tek contract stuff (mostly). That pretty much says it all.

"Which Cor-Tek bass is more awesummmer?" [shrug] :meh:

I think I have some of both around here. All are exactly what you'd expect from companies that farm out production to the same mill at the same MSRP. Not a dime's worth of difference in quality.

16. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    Well said!

17. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    saw this on the schecter site regarding rosewood fretboards.. "The sound is richer in fundamental than Maple because the stray overtones are absorbed into the oily pores"...

Thats enough to give Ibanez my vote.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I agree with Bongo - and I've owned a few Schecters, and atleast a dozen Ibanez...

- georgestrings

19. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    Lol

20. Mine is like a more punchy and aggressive Precision Bass. I love it.