1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 6.0 problem.. head is shorting out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blah114, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    tonight, my shuttle 6 head shorted out.. the clipping lights and leds were fine, but the signal kept cutting out...

I noticed my right fan is literally all bunched up.

I have three shows this week.. I am in deep deep ****..

Is hasbeen around to advise? I would love to overnight this head to Genz.. what should I do.. it seems the head is overheating.. it began cutting in and out during practice tonight.. it is not the cord ..

Can genz ship me a shuttle.. there are no dealers in my area.. I am in st.louis, mo.. I am in deep sh_t.. tomorrow night, I have no reliable head.. I can borrow a markbass for tomorrow but next week I Am screwed.

hasbeen's msgs are full.. cannot pm him

2. Have you removed the top cover and visualy inspected the unit for any other damage?
    I wouldnt touch anything just look and see if there is anything cooked or burnt smelling.
    If it is just the fan then I have heard of them sending one out right away.
    We could all give you our opinions but until the local Genz Benz guy checks in it is just opinions.

3. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    does the shuttle 6.0 have two fans.. or one.. stupid question.. either one fan is scrunched.. or it's just screwed up.. the single fan, on the right, operates fine.. tonight, the amp cut in and out.. during songs.. but all signals appeared ok.. it was weird.. two speakers.. no sound.. just in and out..

4. no just one.

5. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    tks... my problems will then require somethg more.. it wasn't overheating... it was literally cutting in and out...

6. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    pm hasbeen or agedhorse. They will take care of you
    They sent me a replacement amp before I even sent them mine back (it turns out mine didn't have a problem btw)

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Have you contacted GenzBenz Technical Support?

Can you rent a head? Many music stores will help out a working musician who is in a jam.

Your amp's fan is "literally all bunched up"? Clogged with dirt, or seized?

With your amp unplugged, try reaching through your amp' exhaust grill with plastic ball-point pen and seeing if the fan blades will still turn easily.

Your amp is likely cutting out because it is going into thermal protection due to overheating from lack of a properly functioning fan.

Please do not power it up until after you get its fan fixed in order to avoid serious damage.

Contact GenzBenz Technical Support immediately.

GenzBenz Technical Support e-mail: jgenzler@kmcmusic.com

8. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    ok... cannot PM hasbeen.. I will try the other person.

The fan is completely operable.. I thought the "2nd fan" which does not exist had a problem.

I opened the top.. no damage.. I am fine.. no smell of burning. Amp operates fine now.. but there is a problem..

I could clearly SEE signal going to the amp when it was fading out.. it just cut out.. then cut back... it was doing this during the last 5 songs.. just sound disappearing.

The fan is not clogged.. anyway, it was scary to see signal going to the amp and no sound from two different speakers.. was it clipping? I do not think so.. I have played at level 6 before.. this is a big problem for me.. but I am sure Genz will help me sort it out.. Could it be the cable? from the guitar.. passive Fender precision.. cable would not still give a signal to the amp.. I actually could see my notes "played" on the signal light--no sound.. then sound, then no sound, etc..

9. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I have to use a Markbass for SAT night.. will be interesting to compare.. the amp will be borrowed.. I am too scared to use the Genz during a show.. for the time being.

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    did you try a different speaker cable? Also, is it cutting out all of a sudden or, does it fade to nothing?

If it is fading out, clean the effects loop jacks. Simply plug and unplug a 1/4" jack several times into all the plugs.

11. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I had two speakers at the same time both cut out..

it did not fade, but rather was abrupt.. I went from playing to silence.. then the notes came back about 10 seconds later..

I was running no effects at the time.. I can unplug something into and out of all jacks..

I had a boss tuner running into the input.. once the problem started.. I removed that entirely. the problem happened again.. then several more times.. has anyone heard of this before.. the amp is.. I think about 9 months old.

12. I have not had this problem but I did notice that my power plug jack was kind of loose. Do you unplug the cable from the back of the amp every time you use it? If you do I would check there as well. Good luck.

13. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    power is not the issue.. I had signal during the entire cut -outs.. I could even see the "signal" led lighting up.. yet heard silence.. from both cabs..

I am hoping GB will take care of me.. I trust they will.

I can never trust this amp again unless it gets looked at..

14. You were using two speaker cabinets. What are the impedances of those cabinets?

Paul

15. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    8ohms each.. 12T is one of them.. berg ex112s is the other.. tonight, I have to use a Markbass.. I am not dissing Genz.. I love it.. I just hope this can be addressed, and I am sure it will.. but I have a MAJOR show next weekend.. it is a big deal.. the entire band wants me to rent a new rig/trade up before next sat..

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I had not seen this thread, the search function is not always reliable...

If you see the output signal LED, then it can't be the effects loop.

Did you run 2 speakers with a single cable out from the amp and loop through at the speaker or did you run 2 seperate cables, one to each speaker? Are the cables Speak-On or 1/4"?

The first and most likely thing is either an intermittant open or short on one of the speaker cables. If the cable is open, you will get no sound. If the cable shorts, the amp will enter protect mode and you will get no sound. Some assemblers of SpeakOn cables have experienced poor strain relief jacket clamping (espectaly with talc lubricated cable) so the jacket slips and this puts tension on the screw terminals and eventually the wires loosen up. (everybody should be aware of this and SpeakOns should occasionally be checked for proper tightness).

You are not running below a 4 ohm minimum load right? If you have a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabinet, this will cause the protection circuit to mute the amp but the signal LED will continue to operate. Have you tried just one speaker at a time? Occasionally, we have found mis-marked cabinet impedances while troubleshooting customer problems.

With no speakers connectoed to the head, does the amp work properly with headphones? The headphone out is driven from the power amp, it's a good troubleshooting tool. If the headphones work properly, it points to the speaker connections.

Let me know what you discover and we will get you sorted out.

17. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    Hi, I love the level of service you guys give.. meaning, sincerely.

I have two cabs, both of which were separately connected via speakons..

1) 12T cab.. that is the genz cab that came with the shuttle.
    2) EX112 S Berg.
    3) both cabs are 8 ohms apiece.
    4) I cannot get the head to fail.. but it did last night.. I have had the head on for 4 hours so far.. and it's fine.. I am still not trusting it, sorry.
    5) If I saw the LED signal.. then it cannot be the guitar cable, either.. I do not think.
    6) the cable I used to connect the Bergantino cabinet is a LiveWire cable from Musician's FRiend.. it cost a lot.. and seems to be an ok cable.

Could one or the other cab literally negate sound for both cabinets, when separately connected? Anyway, thanks for the responses!

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, absolutely!!! If there's an intermittent short in the cable, the amp will see the "illegal load" and shut down to protect itself.

Are the cables 1/4" or Speak-on?

Do you have a tech who can verify thatthere are no intermittent problems with the cables?

Just because a cable is expensive or even a really good product doesn'tmean it's not defective or have a loose terminal.

Also, is it possible that (with 1/4") the speaker end of one cable was not fully plugged in? With some 1/4" jacks, this can present an intermittent short that will cause the amp to protect itself.

A third possibility is that the AC line voltage was seriously limited and if the input voltage falls below about 93-95 volts, the amp will also protect itself. This threshold is well below what is normal and safe bythe way.

You might also try cycling the effects return jack a couple of times, though I doubt this is the problem. Can't hurt and it plenty-easy to do. Withthe amp off, just plug a cable into and out ofthe jack a couple times and you are done.

So let's rule out external factors that me be the cause for the amp shutting down before assuming that there really is a problem with the amp itself.

19. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    Yes, both cables are speak on.. I re connected both cables and the problem still happened. voltage.. tough to say.. I have been using the same outlet for power for about 20 practices..

I do not have a tech that can verify both cables.. one cable, unfortunately, is "hard-plugged" within the 12T cabinet, as you know.. I do not like that design at all.. but that cable cannot really be tested at both ends.. the other cable.. I can have it tested.. but the problem is very odd.. I fear this will again creep up.

I will run a cable within the effects loop to close itself also, but..

At the very least.. check your PM.. about what I would like to see happen.. I am sure you will. thanks for the responses.

20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Does the combo function properly by itself? How about the other cabinet by itself? This is one easy way to isolate the area ofthe problem. The combo uses an NL-2 connector so it's not easy to get apart unless you work with them all the time. We have never had a failure of these as they are carefully assembled here and the screw tensions torqued. Doesn't mean it can't happen, just unlikely.

Let's figure out what is really wrong first before fixing something that isn't broken.