1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 9.0

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Red Planet, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Anyone using the Shuttle 9.0 for UB?

Doubling?

Would like to know any does and dont's before I get my Bass back.

I will be using a Realist straight in for now.

Thank you in advance.

2. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    I have used the Shuttle 6.0 with my URB and it works great!! I use the Full Circle.
    I have now ordered a 9.0 and I hope it will work great as well.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've seen a number of players using the 6.0. I suppose the 9.0 could only be considered better.

I know the 9.0 has way more bottom booty and tons of power. It will spank hard.

I'm totally happy with the 9.0 but I've not had a chance to really judge it with UB. Was hoping someone here might have been there already.

I have been using a microphone but should have my bass back shortly with a PU.

One of my concerns is (for a bunch of old geezers) we are pretty loud. I need to get some volume going.

Let me know how your 9.0 works for you. :)

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just used the 9.0 for the first time with my upright bass.
    For some reason I didn't think it would work well for upright,
    but we were pleasantly surprised.
    I was using my 9.0 with a carved German roundback made just
    after WWII. Also using a Bergantino HT112 and Full Circle.

This combination worked very well (with my bass) but was
    even better with a 10 megohm buffer pre. Go figure.
    With the Realist you may not need the buffer. Hope this helps.

5. I'm a huge Genz Benz fan and an upright/BG doubler. I've thought about getting the 9.0 but not for the upright. My typical configuration for my regular band where I double is to bring two Genz Benz set ups to the gig. The first would be a 6.0 Shuttle head driving the largest cab the venue can accomodate, in my case the Neox 2-12T but could be a Shuttle 2-10 cab or a Neox 1-12. All good, I just play various venues where the cab size is actually an issue. But for the upright, I consistently use a Genz Benz 3.0 - 8 Shuttle as the monitor and provider of DI to the FOH. Works very well. I can't really conceive of putting my upright through a 9.0 amp. That would almost be arena size. How many ohms and watts are your cabs running for this?

6. just to be clear, on upright in each case I am playing an Upton with the Revolution p/u. No opinion on the Gage/Realist as I haven't played them, although I've had some work done by Gage. The Acoustic Image amps should factor into this discussion IMO, but I don't own one so I'm not qualified to comment on that either.

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are going to be doubling at any point, I would absolutely consider the Shuttle 9.0. The Genz heads are exceptionally clear sounding, and have a sound that works well for both basses IMO.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I should be more clear.

I already own the Shuttle 9.0.

I pair it with any of the following SWR 8 ohm Golight 2x10, Golight 8 ohm 1x15, or 4 ohm Golight 4x10. I rarely use the 4x10. Most of the time I use either the 1x15 alone or the 2x10 alone. The 500 watts at 8 ohms makes it a pleasure.

I'm not planning on buying any other amp though I might (at some point) get something so I can change my EQ seperately on the UB.

I have had an UB for a short time now but was having to use a microphone into the 9.0 (that sucked).

We play small to medium venues so far with no FOH on anything but Vocals and Kick Drum. Might have to go with the DI on the 9.0 at some point but if we do something bigger I can allways create a 4 ohm load for the 9.0 with the 4x10 alone or the 2x10+1x15 combo.

I'm mainly asking what trouble I will have doubling with the Realist? Will I have to make EQ adjustments everytime I swap?

Will I be able to get loud enough? For a Booji Wooji Band we are loud. Of coarse we are not AC/DC loud.

9. OK, now I understand better. Nice gear!

I think you will be plenty loud. But if you're asking whether you'll need to tweak the EQ in switching from BG to the Realist, my answer is probably yes. And the volume too. Can't say exactly how without hearing it, but I'd be surprised if what works right for BG works for the upright too. And don't forget about feedback with the upright, that can be a real problem if you are playing at higher volumes with the cab pointed anywhere near the bass.

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I played through a Shuttle 3.0 10T Combo at Jazz Camp last summer and really liked the pre amp voicing. I use the Realist so that's my take on a similar setup. There is one thing however, with my bass, the Realist, Walter Woods heads and EA cabinets there is a threshold that once you exceed where the Realist will sound ugly. So IMHO the Realist is better at low to medium volume levels. I can use it with my Walter Woods Ultra and EA VL 208, but I wouldn't "crank it up" cause it sounds pretty nasty.

Ric

11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution

we worked a lot with DB players in mind while developing the Shuttle series. ...FWIW, I was a jazz DB performance major in college.

The Shuttle combos were an attempt to give a DB player the ability to grab bass in one hand and combo in the other...and make one trip from car to club.

12. Well, you succeeded. As I mentioned, my Shuttle 3.0 - 8 with the DI to the FOH is my go-to amp for DB.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Please expand on this.

Will I be able to keep up with a cranked tweed Pro, acoustic Drums, and Keyboards.

Should I look at a different pickup for higher volumes?

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Also I have a dbx 215 I'm not using. Could this help me EQ seperately the DB and have a different (pre set) volume level for it?

Not sure how I could hook it up and swap on the fly as the inputs are in the back of the dbx.

I might could plug the UB into the dbx and then straight into the fx return and just unplug it when I swap.

Or EQ to input and plug and unplug everytime I swap.

I think I like the FX loop idea as I could leave a cable in each and just plug in upon using the UP but leave the EB plugged in the front of the 9.0.

15. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Anybody use an EUB with a shuttle 9? I might be getting a EUB at some point.

16. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well I got my Bass back with it's Realist installed and got a chance to spend some time with it through the 9.0.

At home I was using my 4 ohm SWR Golight 4x10. Man is this pickup good sounding and loud. It is almost as hot as my 51 P Bass. I do not think I'll need much in the way of EQ/Preamp to get what I need from the Bass through the 9.0.

I find the sound is pleasing to the ear and balanced.

Good job Genz Benz. :)

17. Thanks for this thread; I double and need more power on the gig; I use a 62 Kay w/the Realist, and the Revolution Solo II on my 2005 Calin Wultur. I was trying to decide between the new Carvin BX1500, a GK MB500, and the GB Shuttle 9.0. I only played through a Genz Benz once before; it was a combo at a rehearsal with a very cheap electric bass and was impressed with the clarity of the amp and was able to balance a bass that was lacking in upper mid presence and highs.

I have an AI Clarus Series 1 that just doesn't get loud enough for larger gigs.

I'll try to report my testing after I get this amp this weekend :) !!!

18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    As an update, the 9.0 is such a pleasure for both EB and UB.

I ended up getting an Fdeck Pre which helps me not re EQ between EB and UB.

Loving the 9.0 with UB.

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    That's a good tip.....I like the Fdeck Pre as well.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes the Fdeck enables me to Double quite easily. Part of it I think, is the 9.0 really likes UB too.

Using the Fdeck, it took my gain level up equal to my EB which allows me not to have to adjust that during swaps. The HPF allows me to suck some of the low end out on UB but leave it in there on for my EB. Works great.

Perhaps it's the Realist but I could not tell any asset by improved impedance using the Pre as not. I think the 9.0s input impedance works pretty darn good to start with.

I've seen a number of guys that do not like the tone of the Realist. On my Bass, through my Shuttle, into my Cabs, I love the sound. Full body, round, warm, and balanced is the best way I can describe it.

I can not believe I am so lucky as to have the 9.0 as my amp. It is such a joy not to be obsessing over amps any more. All the time and effort spent trying to optimize my sound and get the job done without compromise was getting old.

At some point I really would like to try out some of the Uber Cabs. Judging from how I feel about this amp I think I might be surprised. Might like to have two of the Ubber 2x10s.

Cheers to you guys at Genz Benz for making such great products. I'm one happy camper.