1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle owners...advice please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatterd, Sep 13, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I have a Shuttle 6.0 and the 112 cab that came with it. I want to run it with two cabs...at 600 watts. I want a little more headroom, fullness, and volume.

I was thinking about purchasing another one of these Shuttle 112's like the one that came with it and just run the twin 112's.

Where can I purchase another one of these online? They don't seem to carry them at AMS which is where I usually buy my gear because I like the 3 pay and 5 pay options they give me.

Also...should I instead consider buying a 2X12 or 2x10 cab and run the 1x12 alongside a 2x12 or whatever.

Finally, should I just buy a GB neox 2x12 cab and just run that by itself? Will that single 2x12 cab give me more volume and headroom than my current 1x12? I'd still be running the same wattage correct? So I don't see me getting the benefits I'm seeking by running only one cab. It seems to me I'll need to run my amp at 600 watts(two cabs). So the question is...which combination of cabs?...and where to buy online?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Adding a cabinet won't automatically get you extra headroom in the amplifier. It may allow you are able to reduce the volume setting, at which point you'll have extra headroom, because you won't be driving the amp as hard. Just correcting the terminology.

The extra cab gets you a 3dB volume boost automatically, and you can reduce the volume because of that. In addition, the lower impedance of the paired cabs allows higher wattage. So you have another 3dB available if you turn up to use the extra power.

Running identical cabs is generally a better idea than mixing speaker sizes. Stack them vertically for best sound dispersion; putting them side-by-side is not as good.

A 2x12 neo cab should perform about the same as two conventional 12s, so I wouldn't bother doing that. And, no matter how light a 2x12 neo is, I'd much rather carry a 1x12 combo and separate 1x12 cab than the combo plus that 2x12.

Finding a retailer is easy: go to the genzbenz web site and check their dealer list.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi, I've got the same combo (6.0-12T) and can tell you from experience, any 8 ohm cab you add will make a big difference. I've used mine stacked on a 115 cab and on a different occasion on a 210. It really feels much bigger and doesn't sound strained when you run it at 4 ohms and have extra speaker area.

The matching 12 cab isn't available yet at the big places like MF. You might look at the NeoX-112T cab too. Lots of guys here love them and apparently they have lots of booty (the speakers, not the guys).

Hope this helps,
    Alan

EDIT: Looks like they have the Shuttle 112T at The Perfect Bass
    http://www.theperfectbass.com/explo...102940101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    not to confuse the issue but, you can go with a Neox-112T vs. a Shuttle ext. cab or a Neox-212T.

All amp and cab designs are a balance of compromises depending on the goal. With the Shuttle, we were very concerned with weight and size. With the Neox series, we weren't really concerned with size...just weight.

Since it is a bigger cab than the Shuttle, it is quite a bit fuller.

And yes, you'll get more headroom in a manner of speaking. Right now, you're getting about 325 watts. With an additional 8 ohm cab hooked up, you'll be running at the full 600 watts.

5. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    hasbeen...

My conclusion thus far is to run two good 112 cabs and push the amp at 600 watts. Is this a done deal?...meaning I should simply purchase a neox 112 cab.

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    That's a fine solutions. The Neox 112's are wonderful cabs. So is the 212, but if you get the 212 you can only use the Shuttle with it, not both at the same time.

The 212 will sound a bit bigger and fuller sounding than the Shuttle 112 combo on top of the NeoX 212. And my GUESS is that after hearing the Neox 112, you'd be less happy with the Shuttle 112, but I could be wrong. I say get the 212 for your gigs, and save the combo for the smaller stuff.