1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shuttlemax 9.2 or MB800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mattsochistic, Jan 17, 2012.

1. After months of reading and researching I have just decided on the Max vs the Streamliner, and now I have run into the issue of the GK MBA800 possibly taking the lead in the search for a new amp. I play a MTD 635-24 and play in an up and moving fast punk/prog band. (Think Dead Kennedys meets System of a Down) I do slap/ tapping/ and fingers, but mostly fast picking stuff. I have 2 4X10 old ass Yorkvilles that have been with me forever. I had all of my old gear stolen about 3 years ago, and had a 1001RBII. It was really nice sounding but fried twice in a year. Go!

2. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I'm sorta on the lookout for a counterpart to my GB Streamliner 900. I was thinking the GK might be it. I been doing alot of amp research here past few days too.

I run the 900 thru a 4 ohm, TB153 so that cab prolly would get the most use. I also have 2x Neox 212T's, 2x UL410's (8 ohms each) and 2x TC-RS210's that I primarily use at my gigs with a few different bands. And I own GB Neopak, LMII, F1 and Carvin B1500 :eek:; the B1500 gets very little use if at all.

So I'm wondering what higher wattage mini-micro head might work well when I don't need what the GB 900 does. Hey maybe the GB 9.0, don't really need all the 9.2 features. I'm also researching the Aggie AG500SC, as many threads say this is a clean sounding amp.

From the few U-tube vids I've seen, the Aggie sure does not seem like it would serve a different purpose than the GB 900. Maybe its the way those folks set the Aggie, no chance to play one first. Sorry if I've coat-tailed on your thread. Maybe some folks can speak to what the MB800 does different than other "tubey" amps. Peace, ernie.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    GK MB800 definitely. I have the mb500 and the tone is fantastic. Its light, powerful and reasonably priced.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Both would work fine. The Genz is much larger, but very lightweight, and has an almost infinite amount of tonal variation. The GK is very bright and aggressive, and loud as heck.

Either would give you all the volume you could ever hope for. I prefer the build quality and customer support of Genz, and the greater EQ control over the low end (wonderful ability to sculpt from big to punchy to round to tight, etc with the variable LF filter, the bass control and the low mid semi-parametric, but I could live with the MB500/800 with no problem.

Hard to really mess up with either of those IMO.

5. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    My money went to a shuttlemax 9.2.... One nice thing about the Benz is being able to set up two entirely different channels which would be perfect for your slapping/tapping

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    9.2 absolutely

I've had both. On ebay NEW you can even get the 9.2 cheaper than the MB800... crazy

7. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    Haven't played the MB800 but did play the MB500-I assume they sound similar.I liked it and think it would work great and I've always liked GK heads.But I preferred the 9.2.I would think the 2 separate channels and versatility would help with what you are going for.They are both loud-I can't imagine needing more than what the 9.2 will put out.

8. Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards the MAX 9.2 for the two channels! I only (Lol) have to deal with one 100watt thin-stringer and a loud drummer. How does the MAX do with 8X10's in a sealed cab?