Sick of my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Lately I've been quite sick of lugging my amp to practice every week (half hour drive away for a few hours every sunday), and it's not really super sweet to leave my amp there 24/7 because who knows what'll happen to it, plus I like to use it at home. If it matters I'm using a 610 plus a peavey mark 8. Basically I've thought of a few conclusions as to what to do, but really dont have an idea of what to do...

A) I sell my amp and upgrade to something lighter and more compact. I was thinking of going with a yorkville 400w plus the blue carpetted 410 and 115, that way I could leave the 410 at home and the 115 at practice, take the head with me back and forth. Or lug the 115 with me which I think would be a LOT easier in itself.

B) While at work the other day I noticed a used yorkville 210 200w combo with the blue covering in my price-range. Thought maybe of keeping my amp at home, and just taking the 210 combo with me when going places. It's in rough condition cosmetically, but for 300 bucks canadian it's a good deal.

C)Sell my entire amp and upgrade to something like an eden metro or SWR super redhead and ONLY use it.

D)Suck it up and stop GAS'ing until I can afford to get something I really really want

What would YOU yourself do, and why?
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have 3 setups:

Setup A (stays at where we practice, not at my house):
    Kustom Groove Bass 1200 Head

Setup B (stays in my personal practice area in my basement of my house along with my mini PA, drum set and 100w 2x12 guitar amp):
    Hartke HA1400 Head

Setup C (in my office in my house):
    Kustom KBA16 combo (16 amp and 1 x 8 celestian speaker, louder than you think it would be and nice tone)

I use setup C more than the others believe it or not because it's in my office where my computer is. I download tabs and mp3's on the computer and practice with that.

When I want some nice volume, I move to setup B just outside of my office in the basement. I also use this when buddies come over and we want to jam cause as stated above, I also own a drum kit, small PA (4 channel 100w PA - 2 x 10" speaker mains w horns), guitar amp (and cheap strat copy that plays ok).

I leave the big rig at where we practice at my drummers place. We practice in a building behind his house and the building is alarmed, plus I've known the drummer for 20 yrs.

Bottom line, get a small rig for your house (even a combo would work) and leave your big rig at where u practice if you trust the guy. Your homeowners insurance should cover it if it gets stolen (even at his house). Hauling that 6x10 all the time has to hurt!
  3. Haha, yeah. The funny part is the head weighs more than the cabinet! But the cabinet is just really awkward to move. I can't really trust my rig at my practice spot because my drummer has a lot of bands over to record so I don't really know who might abuse it. So in that situation would you reccomend getting the extra combo to take back and forth?
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

= Cheap, new, great sounding rig. I have the same thing as my setup C (the one I keep at my house) with the exception of the CB112 vs the SB112 (the SB112 does a low B better). It is SURPRISINGLY loud. I would get a 4 ohm cab (I have an 8 ohm) to take full advange of the watts of the head. Again, hard to believe how much shound this little setup puts out plus it's very portable (head is about 15 lbs and cab is 45 lbs). Leave this setup there. You won't have much money into it or buy that used rig you were looking at...
  5. Not much of a fan of hartke, I'm going to try and stay around 300w+ (hopefully around 400) and I cant get avatars because I live in canada and shipping would demolish me. I have someone offering me 900 dollars canadian for my other amp, plus I can probaly get another 300, so that would be 1200 doll-hairs for a new "previously-owned" amp. Hopefully I'll take a look at something a little more portable if indeed this deal takes place.
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well if your problem is lugging your amp around, I'd advice finding a cheap cabinet or combo amp to keep at your practice space. I was lucky to find a Genz Benz 1x12 cabient for $70 out the door, and its been the best solution ever. I love my set up far too much to let lugging it around get to me.
  7. basste

Oct 8, 2003
    i vote for your solution with: one head to move, and one cab at home, one cab à practise. And if you like the tone and power you have with one cab only (for exemple a 4x10), then buy the same two cabs. You will have the same sound in every situation (practise, gig, jams with friends.. etc); with only have to move the head to practise. :cool:
  8. Go ahead and buy Acoustic Image Clarus head, used can be found under 400 $, put SansAmp DI in front of it, match it with some small 1x12 4 ohm cab, and you're done.
  9. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have 2 rigs - one at the house (Ampeg B100R) & one at my drummers practice space (Yorkville XS400H through a Yorkie XC115 cab & an old Fender BXR 4x10 cab).
    You won't be disappointed with any Yorkville purchase that you make.
  10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have an eden WT300 and I can two GS112s that I can bring and it can hang at all practices and some gigs. I usually just take one of the 112s and the head and Ican make one trip from the car amp, cab and bass