Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...sigh.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geezerman, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I've REALLY tried to not make this kind of thread, this just screams noob! I have anywhere from 500-600$ to buy a bass ( not yet paying for classes is tapping me but i've picked up some money on the side). Now i really had my mind set on a SX, i mean its cheap and i could learn to setup and repair electronics on it! The more i thought the more doubt creeped in my head. So here is a list i've gathered on possible choices

- Spector Performance series or legend
    - Warwick Rockbass Corvette (basic or classic)
    -an SX Jazz
    -A fender jazz

Now i've searched through hundreds of pages now, but would like opinons and suggestions. Used basses are also an option, the only criteria i have is: Must be 4 sting, passive electronics a +, 24 frets a +. I like a growly tone, and punchiness doesnt hurt. The first two on my list i'm consider at the moment, but i would have to order a spector from a local store becaus ei can never find any. Thanks for any replies!

2. we're all noobs at one point or another right? through MY personal expierience, i've found squiers to be lacking, warwicks weigh a ton, spectors just don't feel right to me, and the jazzes can get muddy at some points. honestly, the best thing you could do is just go and feel out the necks and how the bass feels in your lap. sure those 1-2k bongos look pretty, but keep one in your lap for a bit and that horn digs into your thigh. its all about how you feel comfortable with the bass. my personal preference preference is the fender p. nice thump, slim quick neck(got to love those vintage fenders) and its pretty damn light. 24 frets could be a bit much, and when i say that i mean you probably won't be using that lower 12 very much in the beginning. if you really want that growly tone though, go with a fender 60's jazz, pop in some of the custom 60s pickups (overwound pickups gives that growl) that way, you can expierment with it a bit. worse comes to worse, check the TB classifieds for a great deal.

3. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    don't forget to play the used market.

i got a used MIM Jazz Std bass for 110.

4. used market is god(or equivlant to, however you see the glass). i got my 79' fretless p at a local used guitar/bass/acoustic store for about 700 w/ hardshell. looked on ebay the next day, same model, custom fretless, a little more dinged then my current, 5k, no lie. its incredible what the little used places will do for you.

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Damn lucky dogs! All i have close to me are the big stores (samash/ guitar center) and 2 or 3 little shops who carry little to noting or over price the guitar about $500 more than it actually is, search continues :D

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Try out Ebay! i just picked up a G&L L-2500 (tribute) with a case for 450. Usually they go for about 600 with a gigbag. You can find some amazing deals...just know which bass you want before buying! In your price range...there are alot of options with used gear!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    When I was starting out, I was also very adamant about the 24 fret thing. Later on I realized I seldom played anything higher than the 7th fret most of the time and hardly ever anything past the 12th fret, let alone the 24th.

Check out old Ibanez Roadstars. They're pretty solid instruments and some have two octave necks if you really want it that much.

8. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Ah im not so big on 24 frets, i'm just used to 26 frets now, if it has 5 frets but sounds good, im game :p , awesome link for the spectors, i might pick that first one and save up for a better rig....need to call the bank ;)

EDIT:
    I know there two performer 4, a basswood and an alder, i wonder if this is really the alder one :confused:

9. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Ah damn sunday, hopefully if this isnt bought ill strike a deal without on the bay during the week, but who knows. I've never heard much tone worshiping on spectors, are they slightly growly?

10. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
  11. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Ooh nice color! Like ive said frets aren't a big deal, I need to go to a music store after practice tommorow, I'd really like to buy a cheap jazz and mod it but im not sure the jazz is the tone im looking for ( but they are the best looking imo, nice buy!)

12. I'm not familiar with the tone; just like to do "research".
    You could always "Buy it Now" today :bassist: and send the money Monday or so. You'll have 7 days. Depends on if it's the one you want, or if you're going to think about it still... :eyebrow:

But, you don't have to pay immediately to get it if you are worried it will be gone Monday :crying:. Up to you. ;)
    (I love these little Smilies!)

Good luck!

P.S. ...have you tried "Search" in the threads for feedback stuff on the tone of Spectors? Might be worth a shot.

13. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    im not much help with jazzes, but i can comment on the spectors and rockbasses. as an owner of a rockbass corvetter, id say definately go for the spector. i <3 my rockbass to death, but if id known about spectors low end models, i definately wouldve gone that route instead. the rockbass sounds and feels alright, but it will require a setup, and when the treble knob is anything above 0 it gets this really clanky tone that isnt really usable (unless youre geddy). i think the spector feels better, has a wider range of tones, and is a better deal for about $100-200 less. but dont take my word for it, go out and play em.

good luck

14. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I think i might wait a bit more and go with the pro series ultimatley. That way i can save some more $$ and try a few more basses out. Trying to locate a spector at a local shop now to try, going to play a few Jazzes and Warwicks tommorow

15. Good boy! Fight the GAS, and "try before you buy"! :D

16. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    ;) ....now could someone explain why the pro series spectors have gold hardware :p Performace has passive electronics tone/volume for each pickup? I'm guessing the rest have active, now if only i could go into a store to try them and not have to hear 9 billion people playing smoke on the water :rollno: :p

17. So go in and start up with "Day-Tripper"!...over and over...and over...... :smug:

18. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Even though it's against all of your wants in a bass, I would still suggest a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass because its very near the price range and it has really awesome playability, plus you coax many tones out of it so if you outgrow your "growly tone phase" you will still be able to hera what you want without changing basses. ( I believe it has an active bypass switch too, so if you wanted the passive sound, you got it)