Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signal Path Questions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 10, 2006.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Ok, so I just bought a 2-channel 15-band ART graphic EQ to put in my rack, but had a few questions...

1. Is it worth it to try and use both channels in my rig; say like 1 channel thru my FX loop in the Demeter and 1 from the output on my pre to the EQ then to my power amp?

or

2. Run it all straight line; Bass-> Preamp-> dbx comp-> EQ-> amp-> cab? I've seen it done this way

or

3. Keep my dbx in my FX loop and just plug the EQ in there as well? That might work, but I don't think it would have much affect if the compressor is there also.

Any other suggestions would be cool too. I also thought about running my bass into the EQ on 1 channel, then 1 from that to my Radial DI, and then to my amp, and have it EQ'd AGAIN there!

Too much or damn sweet?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whoa there, slow down. First of all, what made you go buy the EQ in the first place? My guess it was for additional control over the sound of your bass. If that's the case, option 2 and leave one side of your EQ unused. Having the EQ in-line means that it is by default also acting to shape the tone of whatever goes through your effects loop, so EQing it again shouldn't be necessary.

Gig it like that for a while and wait and see if a use for the spare EQ becomes apparent.

IMO as soon as you start EQing effects loops or DI sends, you're only adding complication for lot a lot of benefit.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into setting it up that way.

Yeah, I bought it because I want to be able to tweak my sound more. The Demeter pre, however good it does sound, does leave a bit to be desired when it comes to more than 3-band EQ'ing.
    Plus with my Spector being so damn trebly, I want to be able to tackle that obstacle as well.