"Silent" practice basses on eBay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWombat, Aug 18, 2005.

1. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these "silent" basses? It looks pretty similar to the Yamaha "silent" guitars...
  2. Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    just looking at it, i wouldn't buy it. is that a piezo pickup? they pick up too much string noise on bass IMO
  3. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    The English used in that Ebay ad remind me of the scammers offering to buy equipment for more that the asking price & requesting the difference be wired back to them.
  4. Uh...before anyone buys this, I suggest you unplug your bass and play it. Doesn't get much more silent than that!
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  6. Looks a lot like the Yamaha 'Silent" series of instruments. They make Silent Violins, Violas, Cellos, Basses (double, that is) and Classical guitars. I'm still not sure who made this one.

My guess is that this particluar one will sound much like an acoustic bass guitar when plugged in.

I'm with some of the others on this one - the electric bass is hardly an instrument that needs much silencing when unplugged.

However, the one main feature that makes the Yamaha Silent series of instruments interesting is that you can plug your headphones right into them and get a nice amplified 'personal' sound.

This however, is not a Yamaha.
  7. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I don't know much about amps, but can't most all of them be muted down enough to just plug headphones in one of the outputs somewhere? Mine has a headphone jack.
  8. not if you slap ;)
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Here's an idea!

Don't plug in.
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The idea of "silent instruments" is to plug in a headset and hear a decent volume. Without carrying anything around, except the instrument and the headphones.
    That excludes headphone outs on amps, as well as just not plugging in.
    The competition for that application is between "silents" and built-in headphone amps.

I think this item looks fishy! Not for me, could be something for you. E-bat is not really my cup of tea, I prefer looking at and feeling a physical thing to just taking chanses on pics.
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I bought a headphone amp so I can practice at night w/o disturbing the waif.

It also allows me to bring the bass to work and jam at lunch time (when I am not taking a nap).

Gotta love two hour lunch breaks. :hyper:
  12. Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    you can get a l'il 9 volt amp for thirtyish, clip that to your belt and plug yer phones in. i still think this things is silly
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    IMO, for a bass, that is like shooting oneself to rid one of a headache. That looks like a ripped apart and rebuilt Yammy anyways. I would just get a headphone amp built for bass, and use that. You could even get an amp built in for headphones by the time you buy something like that.
  14. Thanks all - I wasn't actually looking at buying one, just interested to see if anyone had experience with them (I use a Korg PX3 for my "silent" practising).
  15. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    The fretboards have the same lightning bolts that are on the Galvestones.

16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think Aria used to make something like that.
  17. Haven't had experience with one, but I would think that it would be better to practice on my own bass, (unplugged if necessary), since it's the fretboard, and string placement I need to be familiar with... :eyebrow:
  18. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Aria still does make something like that.
    Called the Sinsonido bass. You can get them at music123.com