1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Silly Ampeg BA 115 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wyattsgroove, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Recently, I picked up a 100w BA 115 combo for next to nothing ( less than a Jackson after I sold my peavey maxx 112).
    I'm impressed by the 100 watts It puts out , I've not had to take the master and gain above noon playing with a full band in small venues. So here's my question:

Has anyone who has had or has one of these been able to add a second cab?
    I'd like to try it with another 115 cab with it, and get a 'lil more from it.

Anyone ever tinker with this amp and add an extension cabinet?
    Without breaking it up as a combo amp?

Thanks in advance.

Wyatt.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't do it. It runs at 4 ohms already so it can use a smaller sized amp and cost less. You could chain two BA115's together but you can't hook up an extension speaker. Well, you can...theoretically you could take it apart and wire up a second 4 ohm cab to it in series, but that would mean you're running at 8 ohms and cutting the power to somewhere around 50 or 60w, so it's not even worth the hassle. Two of them together might be interesting, though.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 like many amp makers, Ampeg chose to put their combo's together as "all-in-one's" with no provision for expansion. This is why I would never recomend a combo amp as a gigging amp. It would be a better plan to keep the BA115 as a practice amp, and build a rig from seperates for gigging.

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    If you had an efficient (loud with few watts) 8-ohm 15 that you could put in the combo, then you could add a parallel output jack and run another 8-ohm 15 in an extension cabinet. The two 15s would split the amp's 100 watts but would probably be louder overall than the single 4-ohm 15 in the combo now. This isn't economical even if you got the combo cheap, but if you already had an 8-ohm 15 laying around it could be worth a try.