1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Simple wiring instructions for EBMM StingRay needed!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Senator, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Hello.

Disclaimer: The only experience I have with a switch is wiring a series/parallel switch on my jazz bass.

While I'm waiting to get my stock StingRay pickup fixed, I'd like to install a Seymour Duncan Basslines SMB-4D pickup in my 3-band EQ StingRay. The control plate has an on/off/on mini toggle switch from the previous owner, so I'd like to take the opportunity to try out the switch.

I've been looking over several threads for the past few months now and I don't fully understand the diagrams that I've found.

I'm missing the connection between the first and second diagram for the switch wiring and I'm missing the connection between the first and third diagrams for parallel wiring.

The first diagram shows what I have, with the exception of the pickup; the Basslines pickup has: black, red, white, green, and bare wires.
    Stock Parallel Diagram

I assume that, with my on/off/on switch, I am limited to the North Coil/Series/South Coil wiring. I'm not sure what the ground and output wires are.
    Line6man's Diagram

I'm guessing this diagram is showing parallel wiring. I'm not seeing the connection between this diagram and the first diagram.
    Seymour Duncan Diagram

2. The first diagram shows a MM pickup with a two-conductor output, while the third shows a MM pickup with a four-conductor output, wired for parallel coils.

In my diagram, the ground lead goes to the nearest ground point, along with any shield wires from the pickup. The output connection goes to the preamp.

3. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Id go grab a simple on/on switch from the Shack for series/parallel... but a single coil option would be nice as well if youre not interested in series.

4. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    I got that part. I just don't know how to wire/read the diagram with the four-conductor pickup in parallel. It doesn't look like the first diagram and that is confusing me. I want to know so I could record/compare the Basslines and stock pickups in parallel.

I don't quite understand:

"ground lead" - the bridge ground and a wire from the "B" slot of the preamp?

"nearest ground point" - the cut-off corner of the jack? It seems to be where most of the black wires are going in the first diagram.

"shield wires" - bare wire from the 4-conductor?

So I need to run a wire from the "W" slot of the preamp to the "output"?

5. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    ?

6. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    This is what I gathered in post #4. Is it correct?

Attached Files:

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hi,standard wiring for a smd 4d is-
    red and white soldered together and taped off
    black to hot or + on the circuit board
    green and bare to ground or - on the circuit board
    hope this is of use.
    They sound great by the way.
    Suits me sir although the standard one was not shabby.

8. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanks. I'll keep this in mind when I decide to wire it parallel.

9. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Yeah, I want to experiment with all the positions with 3-position switches. I'm not sure how I feel about the series or north coil sounds yet.

10. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Can someone please check this for me? I'm not so confident nor competent in the diagram I made.

11. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Thank you for the responses, everyone! I'll wire it up tomorrow and hope for the best.