1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Since Genz is on a roll...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthbass, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    ... It would be fantastic to see their 'traditional' amps, the 750/1200, mated to the tube front end of the Streamliner series. I rock a 750, and like everything about it, except the limited tube stage. I know that smaller gear is the overall trend, but there have to be a few folks that would dig a traditional 2up amp with a Streamliner-esque tube input. I'd buy a 1200 like this in a heartbeat. Anyone else?

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Having owned a 1200 for a long time, and a Streamliner 900, I can't personally see the need for that. The 900 absolutely kills in terms of power and output. The 900's preamp voicing is so different from the GBE that it would essentially be a completely different amp, so why have that same preamp on something that heavy that would offer no extended benefit in terms of output?

Now, I would like to see a Streamliner model with a bit more EQ control for the mids, simply because I'd personally like to be able to dial in some of the 600hz mids and some 2.2khz upper-mid at the same time to give it a more aggressive voicing. I'd still want it in the same lightweight package though, rather than having to double the size and quadruple the weight to get it.

Another thing to think about is this. The Streamliner preamp doesn't need the GBE's global filters either. The Low End extension on the GBE isn't needed on the Streamliner. It's already in the voicing. The Mid-scoop isn't needed either. It's already there though not as extreme, but with the 600-hz mid control you can get more. The HF-attack however could be useful on the Streamliner, at least for my purposes.

I wouldn't expect many folks to go for what you are proposing, at least not enough to make it a marketable reality.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think they've pretty much given up on the larger amps as tiny is all the rage now. A word though, when the Shuttles popularity skyrocketed and micro became all the rage, I expected to see more used deals on 600's and 750's as people upgraded and the big ones weren't cool anymore. It really didn't happen, people are hanging on to them. That says something about their quality. I would've like to pick up a GBE 600. Most of their stuff is a little too clean for my taste as a main, go to for everything amp, but I would've liked one for a squeaky clean 2nd option. That said, the Streamliners really have my interest piqued, I wish you could biamp with them.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Waste of size and weight in my experience. Zero compromise to my ear.

5. AlCaldwell11

AlCaldwell11

May 27, 2008
    Stopping by to say Hi!!

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    What light weight Genz would you say compares most to the older GBE series Ken? I tried a Shuttle 12 and could not get rid of a certain frequency higher up. Regardless of cab, bass or setting.

I love my GBE600 and have considered a Shuttle 9. I know the Streamliners are supposed to be the bee's knee's but I'm not into the tubey goodness sound. Also like the two ohm capability.

I'm also fairly uneducated on amps so.... :help:

7. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I appreciate your input, and agree that there wouldn't likely be enough interest to necessitate production. I like that the Streamliner can get very tubey, but I also like the flexible EQ options on the GBE series. I guess I want the best of both.

8. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Cool, we all hear things differently. I may pull the trigger on a Streamliner in the future.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Shuttle would not be for you, since there is only one semi-parametric mid control, so hard to dial in the fat and dial out the bright grind.

The Max heads are the closest, and my guess is you were not making use of the EQ in the right way. The upper mid semiparametric EQ, dialed back at around 1K, takes literally all the gank out of that head. Widen the low end a touch with the variable LF boost, and there you go. The Max 9.2 will bury the 750 in clean low end and headroom, and will IMO give the 1200 a run for its money. The voicing is a bit different though, and you would most likely not set the EQ the same on the 1200 versus the 9.2.

IMO there.

10. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Oh, yeah. I'm with in that a dual-channel head with the Streamliner preamp on one side and the FET on the other would be killer. I wouldn't want it in a 2U GBE chassis though with all that weight. I'd still prefer it in the Max format.

11. Id go for it in a second. Id like a little more tubiness in the GBE's, but still want to be able to dial in that solid state sound.

And Micros sound nothing like big Transformers

Unfortunately it seems Bassists are just as trendy as the main population, so with the micro craze, its not gonna happen.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

Could argue technically about the sound thing but you're spot on with the trendiness. New flavor of the month is here, send all your old stuff to the giant amp pile in the sky......or better yet, a heap on an African roadside so the local kids can huff chemicals while they're burning the copper out of 'em.