1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Singer is a Felon

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Singer did 5 years in prison for Meth and is on parole for the next 16 years. So far it means he has to be across the state line by a certain time at night that makes for short band practices. He also needs written permission to play a gig especially if it's in the next state just three miles from where he and I live. He seems like he's an ok guy despite the prison rap. I don't believe in the drug war anyway.

Anyone ever been in a band with a member with such restrictions? How well does it work or not work?

2. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Depends on how his standing is with his PO.
    Tell him to keep away from the 420 folks.
    Can show up in his required tests.

I've dealt with a similar sitch a few times.

3. Holy cow...5 years PLUS 16 years of parole?. Did he have a truck load of it or something?

AND they have music class in jail?..Sweet deal lol

4. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Does he get you cheap Meth?

5. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Gtr player in one of my bands was in charge of the music studio/department at the DoC.

He said there's guys locked up there that will never see the light of day,
    with absolutely pro-level chops.

6. Nope, I haven’t, and unless he‘s really, really good it sounds like to much of a PITA too. But if he’s your friend, and your friend probably needs the job, so I guess you’ve got to do whatever you’ve got to do. Good luck and best wishes.

7. Only if he smokes or ingests it. Second hand smoke is not enough to pop positive on a test.

As far as his parole length, 16 years. All I can say is wow. I've never heard of such a lengthy parole. This would be a red flag for me to be careful. Hopefully he's turned the corner but 16 years is indicitive of a pretty serious crime.

8. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Yeah, a singer as well. He had problems that went beyond just being a felon , as many do. He eventually got into a fight and violated his parole, so back in he went. Keep in mind that people become similar to those they are surrounded with with and even though he may be a cool dude , it takes only one situation to screw up all your hard work. Make him aware of this , and even then, give it serious thought.

9. always carry a backup.

10. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    The problem here is that although you can argue that the war on drugs is out of control even in the current environment you need to screw up pretty badly to actually do 5 behind bars and then get 16 on parole. This wasn't casual.

11. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Wow, it is usually the drummer who is the felon.:D

12. That. He must have been near the Breaking Bad level, either manufacturing, distributing, or both. Doesn't mean he's still a bad guy, but the money involved makes this sort of racket hard to get away from. I say everybody deserves a second chance, but watch it.

13. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Best singer for metal?

14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    He can sing "Folsom Prison Blues" with understanding and gusto.

15. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    'Felon' is a funny word. Kind of a cross between 'Fellate' and 'Melon'

16. If he keeps his nose clean for awhile things might get better. His parole officer will get fed up with paperwork for gigging and might support relaxing the conditions. It must be a common problem anytime a felon is living close to state lines.

17. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    I had a singer that was fresh from Betty Ford, started playing with him about 4 months after he got out.

He had the guitarist mainlining cocaine within about 7 weeks.

Not exactly the same situation, but generally folks in that kind of transitional phase are not going to be super reliable. They may or may not also be looking to relapse with a new "buddy"/drag someone down with them, so that can be problematic if there's anyone else in the band that's impressionable.

As always YMMV.

Also, I've been around meth abusers, if you're not doing that yourself and/or do not have extensive experience with them, this will probably get messy. I'm assuming you fall into one of those categories as "5 years in prison for meth" didn't send you running to the hills already.

I have seen a number of folks get caught in that particular trap, and even the ones that pull themselves out, and appear ok for years, can have occasional relapses. So, even if he wants to be clean....there's a pretty big chance there will be downstream problems.

If this was pot or something I'd tell you to laugh it off (and you probably wouldn't even post over that.) Heroin and meth though are really, really nasty drugs that get their hooks pretty deep into their abusers. If you haven't had personal experience with the depths that folks in that situation can sink to, it's probably best to stay away.

18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Given his history, I would be paranoid about the gigging environment. I'm all for giving people a 2nd shot, but given his legal woes and where most gigs are........

19. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Actually I happen to know that this is untrue as my wife is a substance abuse counselor and has seen people test positive from second hand. The equipment she uses gives actual numbers so they can tell if its second hand or first however they have to mark either pos or neg. There's no shades of grey when your on parole. Just an FYI.

20. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Well yeah, Jim Gordon's in jail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gordon_(musician)

I've remotely considered committing a minor felony in order to get locked up with him. A few articles I've read mention that he sits in with the band at the prison he's housed at. Can't imagine what folks in that band think when that quiet guy in the corner sits down and breaks out his "I've played on over 1000 albums" chops.