singer: keep or boot?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Casey C., Sep 26, 2003.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    most of you will say boot him, but I want some input and help maybe so heres my story anyways

Casey (me) = bass
    nick = drums
    ben = guitar
    dan = singer

ok nick and casey started a band. Ben joins band because he is nicks cousin. Dan respons to flyer in music store. This is dans first band singing. He's been singing for 4-5 months and he still hasn't figured it out at all.

Dans background: 22, No job, No drivers license, parties almost every day, 6 underages, Fights alot, does NOT take kindly to critism, can write pretty good music but has very few set lyrics

so the other day we were trying some covers. Dan was singing flat (like always) so I told him so and he gave me the "What do you want me to do? I've only been singing for so long". I was in this mood were I had something to say and I didn't want to say it because I knew it would result in a bad thing. finally he says "If your going to act this way, I'll quit and find another band" Which he says alot. So I told him to do so.

I get word later that night from one of my friends that he wants to kick ME out of the band or the band is broken up. I honestly make this band exist. I am the only one that can drive and I am the only one with a job. Lots of stress for me to deal with. Nick and ben realize this but dan does not.

Dan is the oldest member in the band and I think that he feels he has control over this band just cause of that fact. He cries about everything also. He is never happy with his tone settings nor his voice and he points fingers at everyone else. "The drums are too loud" , "I sing to that key", "The tone of the guitar is messing me up". I have done everything in my power to try to please this kid and to make him sound good and there is nothing left to do.

Any input?
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Boot...oh, maybe I should read the post.

hmmh hmm hmmh hmmm

OK, Boot him!!!

But take him to the Lyndora Hotel for wings first (if it's still there)...boy I loved them with the Old Bay all over...yum.
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Boot him and leave marks.

Clearly, he's the oldest member of the band only as far as numbers go.

Why would you even think of keeping a band member who raises your blood pressure?

"The tone of the guitar is messing me up" - This one's going to have me laughing for a long time. That's lame.
  5. I'll loan you a boot .....

Seriously, you're wasting time. Do It Now.
  6. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    You could've just stopped with 22 and no drivers license. At that - it really wouldn't matter if he had the world's greatest pipes or not, not the kind of person likely to umm "go places."
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Those are two reasons are enough to boot a singer.
  8. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    IRONY! We usually get wings from their on sunday for the football games. Yup it's still there :)

best wings around :)
  9. The dude needs to make like a fetus and head out.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uhhhhhhhh ...

What was the question?
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Isn't the correct thumb position for "die" up?

Oh yeah back on topic:

Boot to the head!
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. Didn't you see Spartacus?
  14. Or Gladiator??!
  15. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    While I agree with the overwhelming majority here (i.e. Dan is a loser and has to go), you gotta be careful with the politial situation. Being the oldest (and the front man) Dan may have some pull with the others, and may be able to convince them to get rid of YOU.

You need to find out in private how Nick feels about Dan. If he feels the same as you, then also check with Ben, also alone. If you are all three of one mind, I would say the next step is to find a singer rather than just boot Dan. It is easier to find a singer for a working band. You can always audition the new singer (and rehearse with him) without telling Dan. That way, you can hold on to the gigs you have booked with Dan while you're preparing to exorcise him.

You do have a bit of clout with your driver's license, but there are LOTS of bass players with driver's licenses, so don't assume that's going to get you everything you want.

Good luck, man. I want to hear how this all works out.
  16. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    If the dunce can't sing...he can't sing...IMO he's too old to learn with an attitude like he has.
    Move on!
    Better yet, tape a rehersal so the other band members can hear for themselves what you hear...if it sounds like crap, politely resign from the band and see what phone calls you get later.

Stand on your own and see what happens. There is no use going to market with a crap product. Be above it!
  17. Well, after all the clever comments, is it really necessary I add my own?

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Record him, play it back, showe him that he sucks. Then fire him.