Singing and playing....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass__player01, Feb 10, 2005.

1. My singer just left the band, and until we find another one, the rest of the band designated me as the lead singer.
    So now I have to play bass and sing :meh: any help would be appreciated, because for now, I just can't do both. I lose all my timing and almost stop playing bass if I want to sing at the same time.

How should I practice that? any sugestions?
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I sing and play bass. Not well, just for fun. Here's how I'm able to do what I do. First, you have got to really know the song and really know that bass part. Next, play the bass part at a slower tempo and try to just say the words at the right time - don't bother singing. When you can get through the whole song just saying the words, bring it up to tempo but still just try to say the words. Get em out at the right time. Once you can do that, then your ready to try singing the song.

I find that I have to kind of separate my mind/ears. Sometimes the bass playing takes care of it's self and I can concentrate on my singing, but sometimes the bass playing starts to slip and I have to shift some mental energy over to that and let the singing take care of it's self for a bit.

Song selection is everything. Some songs are a lot easier than others. Sometimes a vocal line follows a bass line or is at least closely related, or follows a similar rhythm pattern, or something. There are other songs where the bass line seems to have nothing to do with the vocal line. For me, I find that some songs I can do, others I can do with a lot of work, and others yet I just can't do.

I hope you can follow all of that, I think the best tips are the first paragraph. Good luck and have fun.
  3. Do a search, there are many threads about this.
  4. ok thanks for your help!
    and sorry I didn't search for previous post.... should I delete it? I don't know how to do it i'm sorry
  5. No big deal, man, it happens... It happened to me last week as well!