1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Singing and Tapping for Solo Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Flatwoundround, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Hi fellow solo bass players.

I did not see any threads on this topic so I started one.

I have found that singing while tapping can sound pretty full for solo bass. For example, I am playing some Rumba Blues (BB King, woke up this morning) where I play the syncopated bass line with the left hand and comp some double stops (major 3rd and minor 7th for dominant 7th tonality) and then sing on top of that. I am not much of a singer but it sure is a lot of fun. So the left hand is driving the bass line and the right hand is my simple guitar player and my tongue is the singer. All I need now is a foot pedal operated drum to work with my left foot. The independence is challenging but it is sooooo cool when it all comes together. So I am planning on working more on developing my singing and more on rhythmic independence sort of like a piano player when they say along. I am also working on Isnt she lovely by stevie wonder where I play the bassline with right thumb and strum the loverly jazz chords (double stops) with index and middle right finger and then try to sing on top of that and it is so much fun. Forget to mention that sometimes I will keep a left hand bassline going on a tapping tune and then the right hand becomes a simple drummer as I emphasize the backbeat 2 and 4 with a pseudo snare sound I can get when I tap the g string near the pickups. I keep learning neat little tricks by just playing solo bass.

I will stop now as I can keep going on this forever and ever due to my passion for this.

Thanks.

bobunit likes this.
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm with you on this, Flatwoundround! Doing several musical things simultaneously is engaging, fun and great for your all-around musicianship, as well as your brain in general. Years ago I thought it might be a fun exercise to play the bass part and guitar part to "Spirits in the Material World" by the Police while simultaneously singing the lyrics. I had such fun with it I still do it, but rather than subject anyone to the extremely mediocre quality of my voice, I play the melody as well.

csc2048b likes this.