1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single 10" speaker for small gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twangman, May 8, 2010.

1. twangman

twangman

May 8, 2010
    Anyone here ever get away with playing through a 1x10 speaker at practice/small gigs? I've been checking out the Fender Bassman 100 (1x10) looks like a pretty good deal! if anyone has any experience with this.. let me know! by the way. im new here.. as im looking around. i really like this place :)

2. I've looked at the same amp... then tried the 1x12 150 watts version and loved the sound... I'm currently asking around here about those and I'm told the 150 watt still ain't enough... We'll see what others say...

3. I once used an Eden CXC-110(220 watt 1x10 combo)for a medium-to-semi-large-ish event; I normally set it on top of a second 1x10 but skipped it this time for logistic ease. I very much missed the extra speaker & 300 watts(@ 8ohms), so my guess is that 150 for a small thing would barely do it at best.
    All that said, I've recently discovered that an ancient 30 watt 1x12 Crate 1B works fine for a small(bass, gtr & drums- sometimes keys)church thing as long as I'm in the PA as well.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it wouldn't cut it for me. single 10"s sound bad on bass imho. smallest single speaker i can hang with is a 112. don't be so into downsizing that you annoy yourself all night.

5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I gig with a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 10t. It won't give you a 'wall of sound' rock thing but it does get a decent amount of volume with full sounding low mids - it sounds like a bass. I have heard other bass players playing through it and it does throw sound into the room quite nicely.

6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I use a line 6 single 10" for real small rooms.

If I bring it to a gig that I should have brought something bigger, I line out into our PA that has 15"s.

7. twangman

twangman

May 8, 2010

how many watts is it?

8. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    My Trace Elliot GP7SM 130 only has a single 10" speaker, and it's fine for gigs and rehearsals. However, it does have an amazing cabinet design which boosts the loudness and low end significantly.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have a 100W Carvin 1X10 combo. It's OK for practice, but has a hard time keeping up with drums. It has the volume for a small gig, but I have to have the thing cranked all the way up. That makes it overly blatty sounding, so I have to have the onboard compressor all the way up to use as a limiter. That kills the attack and the volume. I can plug the amp section into a 4X10 and it's plenty loud, but a single 10" speaker just doesn't cut it IMO.

10. I had a SWR Working pro 10. Very nice for practice alone.
    When I started playing with a band the poor thing could not keep up with rehearsals. 2 tube guitar amps (75 and 100 watts) with volume set below 5 plus drums left me no heardroom. My volume was almost at 10 and I had to dig my strings hard and even I could hear listen myself.

Later on I moved to a 300watts head and a 4x10cab. With that only cab the head only gave 185watts. I never had to set my volumen over 5. There was a huge difference in sound too, not only volume.

The cab was a hassle to move around so I got me a Laney R4 Combo. 165watts and a 15" speaker and is working great at band practice with volume at 6 or 7.

And I still have the 4x10. So if a big venue comes along I can use both the R4 and the Cab which get pretty loud.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Generally a common question, and the answers range from no way to I do it all the time. Fact is, only YOU can answer the question, based on YOUR needs, with YOUR band. The smallest amp I can get away with is 300 watts and a 2x12. We're all different, and we all have different needs.

12. For me a single ten just would not be enough. I have standardized on the 2x10 format. One for rehearsals, a pair to gig with stacked vertically and all four for outside and large gigs.

Paul

13. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    yea a single 10 dosent sound like it would be enougth no matter how many watts it is...

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

+1 ...and well said.

Totally depends on the band (and their own volume control) and the venue.

Heck, tonight I'm doing a gig with a Ashdown Perfect Ten combo, which is only 30 watts.... but I can do it "no problem" with this band in this particular venue. In fact I don't even have to "push the amp" with this gig. It's plenty loud. This band has fantastic dynamic control and the venue (dinner place) needs things to be quiet... 30 watts will carry the room easily.

Typically I need a larger rig, but the little combo works fine in this situation.

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Weekly at a house gig (keep it there)

Works excellent for the room..

I've commonly gigged with 1x12 1x15 amps.. I rarely use my stadium sized rig.

I've heard the Line6 combo amp and was impressed (not enough to buy one).

Tim

16. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    A rig I have used to great success was a 150W (8 ohms) head into an SWR WM110 cab. I wouldn't expect a 110 to push enough volume to fill a room for most groups, but it worked fine for me as a monitor.

17. The only time I have used a single 10 is in a 35-watt Ibanez practice amp while playing with an acoustic guitar using a 10W amp. It was for a reception where we were just background music.

18. I used to gig and rehearse with the same amp, the BLX. It can sound muffled, even muddy, but it will get the job done better than any single 10 I've tried.

19. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
  20. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    When I get the latest neos there will be no holding back my ground breaking lightweight speaker/in ear combo design, Eat your heart out BFM!
    incidentally it really does sound just as big as an svt 8 X 10 in practical use Huzzar!:
    [​IMG]
    Here my faithful long suffering lab assistant Griselda did find 2 speakers vastly superior for balance though.
    Where I ask! would you colonial chaps be, without us genius British gear designers, like what I am:D:bassist: