1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

single coil chisonics output question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drums1977, Jun 6, 2018.

1. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Hi everyone,

I couple of years ago I got an stunning US Lakland 44-60. The electronics had been modified in the past, and it came with a set of Chisonics installed (in standard jazz bass size housings). When I got the bass I inmediately fitted it with a set of Dimarzio PUs and put the original Chisonics in the case. A couple of months ago I decided to swap the Dimarzios with the original chisonics. I wired them normally and I noticed that, although the two Pickups worked fine independently, the volume went down by a lot (about 50%) when the two volumes where up (the bass has a VVT control plate). I read online that the problem was probably that the two pickups were in phase, so I swapped the hot and ground leads in the neck pickup and that seemd to solve the problem. The thing is, and that is my main question, that although the pickups blend fine and sound good, the general output of them is about a 20% lower than the rest of my passive basses, including my US Decade, that aslo comes with chisonics. These pickups are high-gain, so they should be particularly hot. I checked the pots in the Decade (which electronics have never been modified), and the volume ones are 500k, and the tone one is 250k. The fretless (the one with lower output) has all pots valued at 250k. I was wondering if maybe that difference in the potentiometers could be the reason for the lower output. Cuould you please help me with that?

Thanks a lot in advance!