1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single dr sunbeam. Snapped c on 6er. Incorrect tuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tryptaview, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Tryptaview

Tryptaview Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I got some dr sunbeams to try out before i took the $110 TIJF jump this Christmas. I love the feel of them theyre perfect. I got the 30 to 125 set for my 6 string fretless. It may sound stupid but this is the second time i have snapped a .30 trying to tune it to C. I thought first time was a fluke but i guess not. Does DR sell single .28 or .25 strings? I had a .28 flatwound that barely tuned up on it before i got the new strings. Im switching strings a lot looking for the right ones. These beams seem perfect but of course i snapped it. Are there any singles i could get that are similar. Am i just tuning strings wrong?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Firstly, where are they breaking? If at the bridge, you may have a bridge issue.

For singles, try www.fretnation.com

Ric5 and Tryptaview like this.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I've never snapped a Sunbeam C string, and they've been my go-to on my 6 for several years now (with the 30 C). Something is wrong, and it's not the gauge of the string.

Tryptaview likes this.
  4. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    It unraveled right under the tuner

5. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    It didnt actually snap. Bad wording on my part. It unraveled right under the tuner. Same with the last roundwounds i tried on it. Roto 66s

6. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    Its just ridiculously tight before i get in tune but is floppy with no tension an octave down

7. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    What kind of bass are you putting these on? Are you sure you're not tuning the high string above C?

Tryptaview likes this.
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Sounds like you didnt bend and crimp the string maybe?

BOOG, Lee Moses and Tryptaview like this.
  9. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    If you did nothing out of the ordinary, I'd just email DR. They have sent me free singles if one of my new strings broke under normal conditions when stringing them up for the first time.

Folmeister and Tryptaview like this.
  10. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    Uh oh.. Crimp?

11. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    Fretless 34" scale ibanez sr506m stock bridge and tuners. Tusq xl nut

12. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    That sounds like it could well be your answer. The round core requires crimping. Instructions are on every package.

Tryptaview and BOOG like this.
  13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Maybe allow more turns around the tuner post so there is not so much pressure on the bed out of the tuner?

Sunbeams are my favorite roundwound, BTW.

Bassist30, Tryptaview and stigbeve like this.
  14. MRlowend

MRlowend Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2015
    South East, Missouri
    Check this out... at 5:58 Scott talks about the crimp and the inner core not slipping. Hope that helps...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Tryptaview likes this.
  15. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit SUSPENDED

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    This video is worth 11 minutes of your life! I've been doing it this way for 25 years, & never had an issue. I'm not sure why Scott cuts the strings; I take mine off whole, just in case! I also leave about 3/4 of an inch of string after the bend at the post end; leaves more meat for the tuner to grab onto. Then just pre-stretch, tune, & seat.

Tryptaview likes this.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I had a Rickenbacker 4004cii5 and every time I strung it with Carvin strings it would break the b …. because … the place on the string where the winding stopped got too close to the tunes and it unwound and came apart.

You may have to use a different brand of strings

17. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

That sounds like you're going an octave too high.
    I'd compare pitch of 5th fret on the G string.

What is the scale length of the bass?

18. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yeah that is a weird situation.

i would say its tuning to high. or the strings suck.

ive used Roto sounds and never had a problem, plenty guys with DRs doing fine.

unless there is a sharp edge or something on the tuner.
    that would be frustrating. everyone in the house and the neighbors would probably hear my yelling after 2 breakages

did the settings get changed on your tuner by accident maybe?

Tryptaview likes this.
  19. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    Ikr haha. O e broke before i had the whole thing rebuilt ( new body. Veneer on headstock) amd one after haha

20. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    34" its definitely not too high. All the notes lined up until c where it dropped an octave. Trying to tune up one broke it